What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
Is nearly every armored female character as you say? Is this still a huge problem?
No, it generally isn't a problem anymore.

Now, ask yourself WHY isn't this a problem anymore? Is it not because about fifteen (around) years ago, people actually stood up and repeatedly told the hobby that pinup art in the game was making thing feel unwelcome?

And, oh look. They pull most of the sexualized art from the game, and now, poof, 40% of gamers are apparently female. About two or three times the percentage from even ten years ago where women made up around 10-20% of gamers according to virtually every single poll out there.

Huh, funny how taking the stuff out that makes people feel unwelcome in the hobby results in those people joining the hobby in greater numbers.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, it generally isn't a problem anymore.

Now, ask yourself WHY isn't this a problem anymore? Is it not because about fifteen (around) years ago, people actually stood up and repeatedly told the hobby that pinup art in the game was making thing feel unwelcome?

And, oh look. They pull most of the sexualized art from the game, and now, poof, 40% of gamers are apparently female. About two or three times the percentage from even ten years ago where women made up around 10-20% of gamers according to virtually every single poll out there.

Huh, funny how taking the stuff out that makes people feel unwelcome in the hobby results in those people joining the hobby in greater numbers.
Taking  most of the stuff out. Taking all of it out, I believe, is still unnecessary.

Faolyn

(she/her)
To be fair, the entire fashion industry reduces people to objects to be gawked at. Many, many advertisements do the same. The entertainment industry still hits this pretty hard. That's how they sell stuff. People like looking at attractive people, on any part of the gender spectrum.
So? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quite frankly, one can look at attractive people who aren't dressed like a waitress at Hooters. Got these off r/ReasonableFantasy:

1679447108362.png

1679447257965.png

1679447299240.png

1679447446813.png

These are all pretty darn attractive, I'd say.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Again, I know you are very focused on the all or nothing thing, but, by and large, no one is actually arguing for that. Instead of punching at smoke, why not stick to things that people are actually saying?
You said "over and over". I was responding to that.

MGibster

Legend
But, when nearly every armored female character has boob windows and bare midriff, well, that's maybe not a good look.
Here's an issue I think we're largely in agreement on. I enjoy painting miniatures, and this has been an issue for a number of years as it has sometimes been difficult to find an appropriate representation for women NPCs and PCs. For the last twenty years or so, Reaper Miniatures have done a pretty good job with making sure they have a wide selection of women miniatures dressed appropriately and if you want to find a dwarf in full plate without cleavage showing you can find one. But then you can also find a dwarf in full plate with battle action cleavage still.

Irlo

Hero
@Faolyn does seem to be saying that in almost every RPG, unless I'm misunderstanding her.
I mean you even liked the post, so...no.

I see the break in communications here. I believe you're making unwarranted inferrences.

If I say something is sexist and inappropriate, that does not mean that I'm lobbying to ban that thing. First, I don't have the power or authority to prohibit any pubished content. Second, if I did have some magical power to inflict my will upon the RPG publishing industry, I would not use it.

I won't speak for @Faolyn, but let's ask her. Faolyn, are you proposing that sexist art be banned? Do you want to implement prohibitions on any published content based on your opinions about the appropriateness or value of that content?

Can we please get past this thing that's happening in this forum where people's opinions about what is acceptable are taken to mean that people want to (by some mystical authority that no one has) prohibit gaming content or ban art? It's no wonder these conversations are polarized.

Last edited:

wizard71

Explorer
Controversial topics can be used as long as they are handled respectfully. Slavery should never be glorified. It should be a condition that PC's are striving against and never defended. For example, there should be no penalty for a Paladin wishing to end slavery even if it is the law of the land.

I greatly appreciate the art that Faolyn posted above but I can also appreciate Clyde Caldwell's cover of Azure Bonds.

It's funny that when Beyonce struts her stuff semi nude and suggestively in her music videos she is considered "fierce" and a "strong" woman and standing up for women's rights - but hey a little cleavage in D&D and we lose our minds as everyone reaches for their puritanical pitchforks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads