What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Is the woman making that image for her own reasons? Or was she hired to do so? Because if it's the latter, then it's usually still a pictoral representation of a sexualized woman for a man.
I'm afraid I wasn't really asking one way or the other. But now that you mention it, I suppose I meant the first.

Thourne

Hero
They quality of the art improved a lot as well, and perhaps most importantly the binding. There were certainly more complaints about 1st edition falling apart than there were about the art it contained.
The White Wolf art did indeed get good. I have a couple hand drawn Bradstreet's from a con he was at from like the day before rocks started turning to dirt.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
lost-boys.gif

How YOO doin?

Oh ... I think I misplaced my love of SAX!

902cb9a9949685eb564699e52c686deb.gif
Okay and everything Joel Schumacher has made yes

MGibster

Legend
Yes, yes, we've all seen Nightmare on Elm Street II
I need you to watch me sleep!

Warhammer 40k has a unit for chaos called Daemonnetes of Slaanesh. These are feminine demons, daemonnetes if you will, who received new sculpts more than twenty years ago that were created by Juan Diaz. Google Juan Diaz Daemonnetes if you want to get a look at them, they're not bad but they do have exposed breasts. While I like the Juan Diaz models, there's no way I'd ever use them in a public venue. i.e. I could not take them to my local game store and use them in a Warhammer tournament. There are kids around!

Broadly speaking, I think most of us are in agreement regarding the type of art we typically see in gaming today. But then so much of art is really subjective and up to individual interpretation. I think the iconic barbarian for Pathfinder is every bit as stupid as a chainmail bikini because of her exposed belly and the ridiculous size of her sword. But a lot of people like the way she looks.

Iconic Barbarian.JPG

Faolyn

(she/her)
@Faolyn does seem to be saying that in almost every RPG, unless I'm misunderstanding her.
You are misunderstanding.

There's a time and a place for everything. I don't want to prohibit anything, but most gaming books are not the place for pin ups. Having that sort of art in those books says "people who are playing female characters, your job is to be sexy."[1] And this is especially true in art of combat scenes, where, as I have repeatedly said, it's stupid.

If you need to have sexy art of a woman in your RPG book, then it should be appropriate to the scene. And then you should be asking if you actually need this sexy art in your RPG book. If you're producing the kind of RPG where such things are appropriate--maybe it's one with a more social aspect to it--then that's one thing. But if you're producing the kind of RPG where you're mostly kicking down doors and killing monsters, then how appropriate is it?

[1] And by the way, this is something that many people think should be true in real life--that women should be sexy and/or pretty all the time, that we exist solely for the male gaze (the people who think like this tend to not think about gay people). And it is tiresome.

Thourne

Hero
You are misunderstanding.

There's a time and a place for everything. I don't want to prohibit anything, but most gaming books are not the place for pin ups. Having that sort of art in those books says "people who are playing female characters, your job is to be sexy."[1] And this is especially true in art of combat scenes, where, as I have repeatedly said, it's stupid.

If you need to have sexy art of a woman in your RPG book, then it should be appropriate to the scene. And then you should be asking if you actually need this sexy art in your RPG book. If you're producing the kind of RPG where such things are appropriate--maybe it's one with a more social aspect to it--then that's one thing. But if you're producing the kind of RPG where you're mostly kicking down doors and killing monsters, then how appropriate is it?

[1] And by the way, this is something that many people think should be true in real life--that women should be sexy and/or pretty all the time, that we exist solely for the male gaze (the people who think like this tend to not think about gay people). And it is tiresome.
I think it depends more on the game itself.
I personally dislike impractical armor, clothing and weapons.
In a sword and sandals game though I expect it. It is just part of the math.

Thourne

Hero
I need you to watch me sleep!

Warhammer 40k has a unit for chaos called Daemonnetes of Slaanesh. These are feminine demons, daemonnetes if you will, who received new sculpts more than twenty years ago that were created by Juan Diaz. Google Juan Diaz Daemonnetes if you want to get a look at them, they're not bad but they do have exposed breasts. While I like the Juan Diaz models, there's no way I'd ever use them in a public venue. i.e. I could not take them to my local game store and use them in a Warhammer tournament. There are kids around!

Broadly speaking, I think most of us are in agreement regarding the type of art we typically see in gaming today. But then so much of art is really subjective and up to individual interpretation. I think the iconic barbarian for Pathfinder is every bit as stupid as a chainmail bikini because of her exposed belly and the ridiculous size of her sword. But a lot of people like the way she looks.

View attachment 279396
For some reason Im getting a real Jinx from Arcane vibe off that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads