• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesero

Explorer
Off (but also kinda on topic?) from all I read about Yasuke most historians find it unlikely that he was a slave, so no idea why he is only possible because of slavery and colonialism or how "colonialism brought him to Japan" (Africa wasn't colonized until way later).

Do I sanitize my games? No. Because that is how humans are and presenting a world where everyone is nice to each other except the monsters feels fake.
Or at least I do not purposefully sanitize it, but I can't capture all the bad things people did in history, also because I don't remember them all the time. For example for most of medieval/renaissance history religious intolerance was much more of a factor than race when it comes to if a people were mistreated, but no one has even mentioned that in this thread yet and I doubt it was one of the first things you thought of when reading "Controversial Content".

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Off (but also kinda on topic?) from all I read about Yasuke most historians find it unlikely that he was a slave, so no idea why he is only possible because of slavery and colonialism or how "colonialism brought him to Japan" (Africa wasn't colonized until way later).
The “Race for Africa“ may have been later, but colonial exploitation and interference in the local cultures by missionaries had been under way in Africa a century before Yasuke was taken to Japan as a bodyguard to a Jesuit missionary. So… there’s your colonialism being what takes Yasuke to Japan.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
1677631561928.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
So who, exactly is proposing we eliminate controversial content? This thread appears to be about the content of home games, leaving aside the argument about Yasuke.
I am not aware of anyone that has advocated that we not tackle topics that some may find controversial. I can see why a publisher would not want to publish stuff that may cause controversy but that does not impose limitations at the level of individual groups.
Nor am I seeing anyone advocate that it is legitimate to run with something that is upsetting to another at the table, but if a group wants to explore in an area that many would be uncomfortable with but that is known in advance and all are giving consent who is stopping you? You do not need permission from anyone else other than the participants.

Now it is a different matter if it is stuff to be published, either as content to be used at the table or the output of a game as a public performance. Then there is a duty to ones fellows to take some care as to the wider impact.

On the other hand I run and play D&D as escapist fantasy and make no apologies about that. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with escapist fantasy and to be honest I suspect that most games are run as escapist fantasy not deep explorations of the human condition.
Although there is nothing wrong with that either. By all means, strive to create high art if that is your fancy.

bloodtide

Legend
I scrub or soften nothing. My game is "unrated" beyond R, MA or X. If a player does not like this, my game is not for them. I'm an amateur historian, so there is a LOT of history in my game. Life before even 1950 was VERY different from today, and that just goes up to eleven when you start to get back before 1900, or 1800, and so on. Though this is really only talking about America and Western Europe. It can be said, maybe, that 'X' does not happen in America anymore.....but that says nothing about the whole rest of the world.

My average game does not highlight such things, but does not shy away from them if they come up.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I scrub or soften nothing. My game is "unrated" beyond R, MA or X. If a player does not like this, my game is not for them. I'm an amateur historian, so there is a LOT of history in my game. Life before even 1950 was VERY different from today, and that just goes up to eleven when you start to get back before 1900, or 1800, and so on. Though this is really only talking about America and Western Europe. It can be said, maybe, that 'X' does not happen in America anymore.....but that says nothing about the whole rest of the world.

My average game does not highlight such things, but does not shy away from them if they come up.
Life before 1980 was very different than to day in what is loosely called "the West"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads