What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
There is slavery in Star Wars. Star Wars is not a grindhouse genre of film. Star Wars is considered family friendly.

Yuan-Ti have historically been identified as slavers. Yuan-Tu slavery can be explored in a game as lightly as Anakin's slavery was in SW....or it can be explored as harshly as 12 Days a Slave.

Expecting WotC to have as hard core approach to slavery as 12 Days a Slave is too much. Expecting WotC to never mention slavery ever again is also too much. Somewhere in-between those two extremes is where I believe the proper approach lies.

Slavery is a major (some could argue THE Major) component of Dark Sun society...not a one time throwaway plot device. No one is arguing slavery can't be mentioned or exist in D&D but a one liner or reference a group can choose to use vs. your entire world being based around it aren't the same thing...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not as far as I am aware. Demons and intelligent undead are usually looking to take over the world, not kill every living thing. Unintelligent undead - the zombie horde - is more a force of nature than it is a culture trying for genocide.

But, maybe I'm wrong. If you find WotC or Paizo content centered around demons or undead (as a culture/group, rather than as an individual) trying to destroy all living things, I'd like to know of the example.
I can't see an Ultron-like villain, or even Thanos-like, as off limits for D&D. Both wanted genocide at the end of the day.

Micah Sweet

Slavery is a major (some could argue THE Major) component of Dark Sun society...not a one time throwaway plot device. No one is arguing slavery can't be mentioned or exist in D&D but a one liner or reference a group can choose to use vs. your entire world being based around it aren't the same thing...
Actually, several people have argued that light references to slavery don't take the subject seriously enough and shouldn't be done either.

Imaro

Legend
You didn't expressly say them, no, but when someone says "Google is a wonderful tool" in response to the topic of smaller publishers being marginalized or even ostracized as a result of an outraged minority making it harder for them to reach potential customers, the implication is clearly understood.

And I explained to you that you're inference of what I meant, as opposed to what I actually said was mistaken.

Nothing can "guarantee" that news of your product's existence will reach the ears of potential customers, no, but we're not talking about guarantees. We're talking about a vocal minority of people who have taken it upon themselves to make it harder for small publishers to reach customers simply because said vocal minority disapproves of what the small publisher has made. In other words, they're creating a stigma, and then working to apply it based purely on their own sense of righteous indignation. Pointing out that that's on them, rather than on the publishers for having the audacity to make something that someone somewhere wouldn't like, shouldn't be a contentious topic...and yet here we are.
But... but... freedom of speech. More seriously they have the right as long as it isn't slander, libel, or something similar to espouse their opinion about a product... You're basically arguing that it's ok for this creator to make what he wants but what is said about it must be controlled... What??

Faolyn

(she/her)
Why do you feel like it's a good enough fantasy buffer from reality to excuse a kobold bandit trying to kill you in a mugging but not apply the same fantasy buffer to snake-guy wants to kidnap you and take you to a hidden desert lair to toil in mine?
Sigh. I did all just explain this, you know.

If you're fighting against a kobold, you're on equal terms with the kobold, or are even stronger than it (at least in games like D&D where your hit points and Strength are going to be higher). You almost certainly have weapons or magic at your disposal and are almost certainly prepared for the fight. (If you have the type of GM that attacks you in the night, then you're probably also the type of player who sleeps in your armor.)

If you've been enslaved, you're automatically the weaker victim. The GM has almost certainly made it so the slavers removed your weapons and spellcasting abilities, unless you were very subtle about them. Is this the type of game you think is fair or fun?

Imaro

Legend
Actually, several people have argued that light references to slavery don't take the subject seriously enough and shouldn't be done either.
That wasn't what was argued. Saying Bugbears are slavers is a light reference that makes no determination of what that slavery entails... it neither minimizes it or seeks to show it realistically. A Dark Sun where the subject of slavery is explained away as they are workers who don't get paid and work all day... yeah that's minimizing. Do you see the difference in approaches?

Micah Sweet

Sigh. I did all just explain this, you know.

If you're fighting against a kobold, you're on equal terms with the kobold, or are even stronger than it (at least in games like D&D where your hit points and Strength are going to be higher). You almost certainly have weapons or magic at your disposal and are almost certainly prepared for the fight. (If you have the type of GM that attacks you in the night, then you're probably also the type of player who sleeps in your armor.)

If you've been enslaved, you're automatically the weaker victim. The GM has almost certainly made it so the slavers removed your weapons and spellcasting abilities, unless you were very subtle about them. Is this the type of game you think is fair or fun?
It may very well be fair to the setting, and verisimilitude is important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads