• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

(EDIT: This thread was originally called "Masterplan is dead?")

Masterplan (Masterplan) is a free program that I've recently been introduced to, designed for laying out 4E campaigns. It's pretty damn cool! I haven't used it much yet, but I like it. I think Obryn uses it too. Anyone else? If you haven't tried it, I recommend you check it out.

A few weeks ago, its website was saying something about "a huge new feature" coming in version 9.0. Yesterday, however, version 8.8 was released, along with the message from the developer, "This is the final version of Masterplan."

Speculation is running rampant. Was the developer told to C&D? Does he just not feel like carrying on? Did WotC purchase the rights to Masterplan? (The last one is wishful thinking, I believe.)

Does anyone have any insight into this? More importantly, can anyone with programming savvy help this awesome application to live on? We, the D&D-playing people, would be forever in your debt.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
I dunno if it matters, but technically using masterplan violates the Terms of Service for DDI; specifically, it is clearly a data mining program.

I dunno if it matters, but technically using masterplan violates the Terms of Service for DDI; specifically, it is clearly a data mining program.
That would certainly suggest a C&D notice, I imagine. Assuming that this is what happened, would buying an official license be/have been an option for the developer?

malraux

First Post
I dunno if developing MP violates the Terms of Service, just using it. More importantly, if the developer received the C&D, the website would be gone.

AZ_ST

First Post
Perhaps it's related to the Obsidian Portal announcement from last month. Development on the stand alone app ends to begin work on a version embedded into Obsidian Portal?

Perhaps it's related to the Obsidian Portal announcement from last month. Development on the stand alone app ends to begin work on a version embedded into Obsidian Portal?
You're quite optimistic! But if "data mining" D&DI is the problem, wouldn't this be equally problematic?

BTW, is the "data mining" that Masterplan does any different from the iPhone apps that connect to the Compendium...?

Markn

First Post
Something weird is definately going on. I was introduced to the program at version 8.4. Like others wondering, is this announcement the precursor to something good or something bad. My guess, is that with the quick change of heart, it must be a C&D. The thing that makes this unique is that Masterplan is free, whereas other sites that I have seen shut down actually charged money for their programs.

I suspect the real answer will make itself apparent before long.

darjr

I crit!
I don't think that a C&D would allow for the continued distribution of the app. I hope it's something positive.

Maybe it's the last 8 version?

malraux

First Post
You're quite optimistic! But if "data mining" D&DI is the problem, wouldn't this be equally problematic?

BTW, is the "data mining" that Masterplan does any different from the iPhone apps that connect to the Compendium...?

Data mining is loosely defined as going systematically going through all information and saving it all. The iphone/iplay4e type apps don't save the data, they just pull it up from the server as it's requested.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads