• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

Data mining is loosely defined as going systematically going through all information and saving it all. The iphone/iplay4e type apps don't save the data, they just pull it up from the server as it's requested.
Ahh, now I understand. I can see why WotC wouldn't want people doing it; if you can save it, you can redistribute it, right?

Thanks, malraux.

Data mining is loosely defined as going systematically going through all information and saving it all. The iphone/iplay4e type apps don't save the data, they just pull it up from the server as it's requested.
<pedantic>Not exactly. Data mining is sifting through a large mound of data, looking for patterns or otherwise useful information.</pedantic>

malraux

First Post
Data harvesting is probably the better word. Nontheless, data mining is the wording the ToU uses.
use of any data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods; (f) downloading (other than the page caching) of any portion of the Sites, any Site Content, the Services or any information contained therein, except as expressly permitted on the Sites or pursuant to the Services

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
How much you want to bet that the developer got scooped up by WotC to fast track the Adventure Tools... Master Plan has done more in less time with less of a team than WotC.

I will bet that he has non-disclosure and can not talk about it until stuff is announced.

My Two Coppers,

How much you want to bet that the developer got scooped up by WotC to fast track the Adventure Tools... Master Plan has done more in less time with less of a team than WotC.

I will bet that he has non-disclosure and can not talk about it until stuff is announced.

My Two Coppers,
[sblock]
I_Want_To_Believe_01.jpg
[/sblock]

Obryn

Hero
I dunno. I could believe that he's stressed from the pressures of dealing with demanding, entitled idiots like the ones who frequent the Facebook page. It could be life changes - new job, new relationship...

I doubt it's a C&D - those would result in it becoming un-downloadable.

-O

I dunno. I could believe that he's stressed from the pressures of dealing with demanding, entitled idiots like the ones who frequent the Facebook page.
If this is because of a tiny handful of obnoxious, ungrateful twits, I swear I'll climb through my computer and do violence to them with their own keyboards.

Asmor

First Post
Just wanted to reiterate that it's clearly not a C&D issue, or else he wouldn't continue distribution. Also, in my limited experience, WotC isn't as litigious as certain companies (Hi, GW! *waves*) and they seem to have some common sense rules about who they go after. In particular, I don't think most at WotC would have a problem with Masterplan because it does require a DDI account to download the data and it's not being sold for profit (compare this to that one website that was doing character sheets with the full text of powers without requiring DDI and, if I recall correctly, did charge for some features).

Scribble

First Post
I'm guessing he's about to announce that it's now going to be integrated with Obsidian Portal, and made the cryptic announcement to garner attention for said bigger announcement... It's working. :)

Hope I'm not wrong!

Kurtomatic

First Post
I'm not as familiar with Masterplan as I'd like to be; I'm just now getting to the point of evaluating available game planning/assisting apps. But didn't Masterplan grow out of a tile mapper that WotC themselves use and have linked from the D&D website in the past? I know the RPGA has been using Masterplan to layout tactical maps for LFR for a long time. It's not like they've been unaware of this app.

Remove ads