D&D (2024) What will One D&D Eventually Be Commonly Called

What will The "One D&D" Game be Commonly Called

• Poll closed .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My bet is 5.5 even if WOTC never officially calls it that. Folks needs some way to differentiate it from what came before and what will come after.
And they will have to find a way to differentiate it internally.

The alternative is Apple-style nonsense, where every iPad Air is just an iPad Air, no matter which year it was put out, despite wildly different specs inside. All that does is force a mad scramble to look up serial codes whenever you want to get something repaired, replaced or sold.

It's the 2024 edition of 5e.

"5.5" makes sense only to people who were around for 3.5. While I see it all over this website, I'm not convinced it has sufficient legs with contemporary D&D players in general. That said, if enough people call something by one name the rest will follow, whether the name makes any particular sense to them or not.

OneD&D is so clearly a marketing name aimed at the transition period that I don't see it having legs. But if WotC goes right on using that name consistantly and ubiquitously right thorugh the transition and for years after it will likely win out.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Officially they've never used edition numbers.
5e-phb-back.jpg

JEB

Legend
I'm not sure what it will be called, but it won't be called "5th Edition". Even Wizards is already differentiating between "One D&D" and "fifth edition" in their One D&D FAQ, despite their care not to use the 'E' word.

Remove ads