"Cool, which version of 5e are we playing."

"Core + 1"

"So 2014 core or 2024 core."

"They're the same"

"So I use whichever grappling rules and spells are in the core book I have?"

"No, it's treated just like errata, we're using the most recent ones."

"Wow, that's a lot of errata!"

"Right. In the 5e we're using the e stands for errataed."
Yeah. Because 5e intentionally minimizes errata so as to keep the purchased books in use, there is no choice but to implement the necessary and desired errata in one lump sum, effectively as a new version of the core books.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe officially it will be "2024" the "anniversary edition".

And unofficially it will be 5.5.

As far as I know, I will probably continue to call it "5e", but then say "5.0" and "5.5" in contexts where I need to distinguish them.

It is both the 50-year anniversary of D&D as well as the 10-year anniversary of 5e.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Depends on how compatible the new edition is with 5E. Very compatible? 5.5. Not very compatible? 6E.
Judging by all of WotC's talk of compatability, we're looking at a functional 5.5E like you are describing. But also judging by how carefully they are avoiding any mention of even the word "edition," it won't have the number "5.5" anywhere on the cover.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
AnniE for short.
download.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Judging by all of WotC's talk of compatability, we're looking at a functional 5.5E like you are describing. But also judging by how carefully they are avoiding any mention of even the word "edition," it won't have the number "5.5" anywhere on the cover.
Well, WotC talked a good game about how 3.5 was backwards compatible, too. A lot of people are still mad about getting burned on that one. Rightfully so. Right now it's all hype and PR. We won't know until the books are printed and in stores.

But yeah, they're definitely trying to phase out the term edition. Doubt that will stick. When the numbers go down again, they'll be real quick to reverse course and start hyping 6th Edition or whatever they'll call it. I don't think they're going to pull of the "no more editions" thing. There will come a point when they'll have too much cruft and need to rework things again. No system is perfect so it's not going to last forever.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, WotC talked a good game about how 3.5 was backwards compatible, too. A lot of people are still mad about getting burned on that one. Rightfully so. Right now it's all hype and PR. We won't know until the books are printed and in stores.

But yeah, they're definitely trying to phase out the term edition. Doubt that will stick. When the numbers go down again, they'll be real quick to reverse course and start hyping 6th Edition or whatever they'll call it. I don't think they're going to pull of the "no more editions" thing. There will come a point when they'll have too much cruft and need to rework things again. No system is perfect so it's not going to last forever.
I think they have already succeeded, actually, but it will take a while for the new evolving evergreen regime to really sink in for a lot of people.

codo

Hero

WotC also claimed the 4E Essentials would be fully compatible with original 4e, and guess what, It was. You could have a 4E and an essentials characters playing together at the same table with no problems what so ever. Characters built under either system could use powers from either, and the DM could use monsters from either too.

I know a lot of people have and eternal distrust and hatred of WotC, but it seems some people are going out of their way to spin and distort everything that with designers say in the most under handed, deceitful, and short term money grubbing way possible.

WotC has been saying for over a decade that 5E is going to have a slow release schedule for character options and they want 5E to be an evergreen edition. Now after nearly 10 years they have released only 2 major books of character options and are playtesting updated core rules while repeatedly stating that they will be backward compatible and not a new edition. How many decades are they going to have to keep saying the same thing before people actually start believing them, instead of reflexively assuming they are lying because of a 20 year old grudge against a company( of which their is literally no one still working there from 20 years ago).

Remove ads