• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would an incontrovertible irrevocable OGL 2.0 look like?

Yaarel

He-Mage
Public domain.
Making the SRDs public domain solves that problem.

But the gaming community still needs an "OGL".

Say, you invent a new game. You need a way to let the users of your game know which parts they can modify and sell as part of their own products, and which parts they need to leave alone because they belong to you.

Making the SRDs public domain solves that problem.

But the gaming community still needs an "OGL".

Say, you invent a new game. You need a way to let the users of your game know which parts they can modify and sell as part of their own products, and which parts they need to leave alone because they belong to you.
The alternative is making the whole thing PD. No license needed. Leave the licensing and sub-licensing to the publishers of supplemental materials. That way, if one gets overly litigious, or tries to horde ideas, they can be cut out of the hobby while leaving the core intact. Right now, cutting out WotC would be hard. But if I had a beef with a currently existing publishing company or their work, I could just not use their parts of the game, and could use other publishers variations on whatever products I had a need for, either as a player/DM, avoiding their products, or as a potential additional game developer, deciding if I wanted to engage with whatever license version they cook up for their own products for me to interface with for my own.

A Public Domain SRD isn't without risk; You'd get the endless tide of "bad" content (NFTs, books of potentially harmful or dubious content, potential attempts at brand confusion or genre shift, etc) but, at least as I see it, as someone with no stake in the game, my perspective is that this calamity will repeat itself, over and over again. We can wait out PD, or skip the steps where a small handful of greedy actors with no oversight can quash an industry for a few extra bucks. Maybe I am too much an optimist, and this idea would never work. But I'd rather be such a fool than be on WotC's board right now.

In the license? I mean, there are laws about this.
there are not laws about being those thing here in the states... that is why the whole NuTSR thing blew up. You can be as big a jerk ass you want and put out a book.
No. Make that part of a separate trademark license, if you want, but anything that's open to interpretation should not be part of a new OGL.
I disagree. as long as we are connecting to Hasbro property view the license I think Hasbro has to police this.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I disagree. as long as we are connecting to Hasbro property view the license I think Hasbro has to police this.
I think that Hasbro thinking they should have any sort of oversight or veto power is the reason the current brouhaha is happening. An open license is only open if it doesn't allow for someone to cancel someone else's ability to use it based on their own arbitrary interpretation of their work.

Last edited:

Remove ads