• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would be an appropriate level for this power?

Jhaelen

First Post
I recently acquired a bunch of 4e supplements at a reduced price and one of them includes the following Utility Power:

Encounter
Immediate Reaction, Personal
Trigger: An attack applies an effect to you that a save can end
Effect: Make a saving throw against the triggering effect.

What do you think should be the level for this power?

I'm asking because I feel the level it's been assigned in this supplement doesn't really reflect its power.

shamsael

First Post
The thing about a power like this is that it scales against the effect it's removing. It doesn't end the triggering effect either, it just allows a save against it.

I definitely think this is a heroic tier power and I wouldn't even be surprised if it was a level 2 utility.

Edit: I'm curious now to see the power's name/class/level. If this were a defender power, I could see it being extremely powerful and therefor possibly warranting a higher level. On any other role, though, it's situational.

Last edited:

chitzk0i

Explorer
Well, it doesn't work against daze or stun effects, so that knocks it down some. I'd say it's level 2 or 6 for a defender or level 10 for other roles.

Also, it's eerily similar to the hobgoblin racial ability.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well, it doesn't work against daze or stun effects, so that knocks it down some. I'd say it's level 2 or 6 for a defender or level 10 for other roles.

Also, it's eerily similar to the hobgoblin racial ability.

Yes, I was going to say that - it's very close to the hobgoblin racial ability. I think the hobgoblin one applies to anything where a save can end the effect, though. Not just attacks. (can't look it up right now)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
This is a lot like the Barbarian level 2 utility power Shrug it Off (without the free 1 square shift that Shrug it Off has, and Shrug it Off doesn't require that the effect come from an attack). It's once per encounter. It seems completely fine to me as a level 2 power, especially since Shrug it Off is a level 2 power and it's more powerful than what you've written.

Klaus

First Post
I recently acquired a bunch of 4e supplements at a reduced price and one of them includes the following Utility Power:

Encounter
Immediate Reaction, Personal
Trigger: An attack applies an effect to you that a save can end
Effect: Make a saving throw against the triggering effect.

What do you think should be the level for this power?

I'm asking because I feel the level it's been assigned in this supplement doesn't really reflect its power.
This looks like Hobgoblin Resilience.

EDIT: Ninja'ed!

Dice4Hire

First Post
If it were for a controller class, I would be tempted to put it at a level 6 utility. If for any other class, I think that level 2 utility would work best.

Yeah, it is a handy thing to have, but since any character will face level-appropriate effects it is one of those powers that is not going to change much in effect at any level. I think Mengu is right, once you hit paragon the burning an immediate plus the fact that it won't work on the most serious conditions actually makes it rather weak. Also you would really almost always at level 11+ have leaders that can drop you a free save anyway.

Remove ads