D&D (2024) What would change for you if Wizards started calling it 6E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would that stop, or would the goalposts of the debate just move and different people complain about it being called something different than before?

Nothing could ever permanently stop a good nerd debate. There would certainly be another kerfuffle when the announcement came out, because there's kerfuffle every time an announcement comes out. But it would die off much quicker.

4e had lots of drama around it's release, but I don't remember any about the name of the edition. 5e had a discussion about names when the early playtest was called D&D Next, but no real outrage when it was changed to 5e. Even 3.5e had less drama, because they didn't try and tell you it was backwards compatible. I'm confident that changing the next version to 6e put out at least a few fires.

All my 6e speculation threads would turn into 7e speculation threads

teddy bear dancing GIF

mamba

Legend
As it stands the changes are enough to justify a separate version if WotC wanted that, but do not require one. So as far as I am concerned they can call it 5e or 5.5 and it’s the same to me. Their game, their decision, I don’t care.

6e to me implies more of a departure than what we are getting, but ultimately, their game, their decision, it changes nothing for me.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Nothing would change for me in how I view it but I think there are a few positive changes that would result like not constantly hearing how it needs to be identical to the 2014 version wit a drumbeat of no take only give every time something ios changed. It would also allow wotc to more confidently make rules changes that need changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads