• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would convince a character to become a vampire ?

drachin

First Post
Well, in that case, it sounds like you are looking for something a little less personal for your vampire to do to recruit this person, something without so much of a heavy emotional hitch (which ca always be developed later at those perfect moments).

If this vampire has 'spur-of-the-moment' tendencies, then maybe she could start up a chaotic recruitment campaign. One day, make a Power Point presentation of the benefits of joining the Covenent (complete with humorous points like "no more bad take-out food" and "Atkin's friendly" with a picture of a stake)(okay, so maybe that humor isn't very humorous, but you get the idea). Another day, make a mock flyer of the "Uncle Sam Wants You" posters with appropriate vampire figure replacement.

Or have the player accidentally find a 'Top-10 Reasons to Become a Vampire' list in progress (complete with a lot of scratched out entries) that fell out of the vampire's pocket (or was found in her room, or whatever), or an incomplete and chaotic love-note trying to convince her to change over (the more like one of those sad high school loser love notes it sounds, the better, if you want to make her a bit nervous about this potential romance and stuff). That takes the initial confrontation out of your hands (since you just have to prepare a pice of paper, complete with angst) and lets the character decide what emotional level they want to attack the issue with while planting the vampire issue firmly in her head.

Is the character she is trying to convert a responsible character? If so, maybe the vampire can play off of that and use it to her advantage. She can make the serious (and somewhat personal) argument that dependable people like her human friend/lover are difficult to find and could help sooooo much in the war against the other vampires, especially if she took that one extra step and joined the Covenent in its war full-time. The Covenent needs people like her, you know? I mean, surely she doesn't want the other vampires to win, does she? Oh, even better, maybe a bunch of Covenents have been killed recently, so the ranks are a bit thin. This adds an extra dimension of urgency in finding new warriors to join the ranks, maybe making the character feel more important personally for making that "sacrifice" to help out for a good cause.

So, how caught up is your player in this vampire world? Is it only peripheral for her right now, and you are hoping to make it a full-time story issue, or are their any personal encounters or dealings with the other side that can be used to further emotionally manipulate the character?

Any other clues you have as to character personalities, etc, that might help us tag down something would be helpful as well. At some level, this vampire should have at least a small idea of what sorts of desires this other woman has, so we just need to know those so we can get a feel for what off-the-wall plan your vampire might come up with.

*looks up and rereads post*

Ummm, I sure hope that all made sense up there, but it is kind of late right now, so oh well!

:D

Last edited:

milotha

First Post
johndaw16 said:
Ok I think I need to give some more details to clarify a few things so that my question makes a little more sense.

Vampires in my campaign are split into two very distinct groups :

1. Your traditional immortal Princes of the Dark, these vampires form a hidden underground society, with heirarchy defined by age and family ties. They're the evil predators of the helpless and clueless humans of the world.

2. The second group is a new, extremely radical, psuedo-anarchical, faction. This group is made of mostly younger or outcast vampires and they're more interested in tearing down the decadant, stagnant, evil, and decaying society of the "traditional" vampires. To do this they've made a spiritually binding Covenant to live with humans in as close to harmony as they can (think using blood banks instead of hunting humans for sustence, etc.).

The vampire that my PC has run into is one of these Covenant bound vampires. The NPC vampire wants to turn the PC to gain an ally in her fight against the traditionalist vampires. So ideally this would be a turning that didn't involve threats upon the PCs life. Instead I want to try and convince the PC to join ranks with the rebelious Covenant bound vampires. Would this fight be worth becoming a vampire ? Could anything make it worth it to the PC ?

Does the PC have any reason to want to join the Covenant vampires? Does he agree with their view points? Is he chaotic? Is he anarchical? Does he have any reason to hate or seek revenge on the Traditional vampires? Foster some of these feelings. Nuture these tendencies and let them grow on the PC.

I would stage a situation where the PC was more likely to decide to fight with the Covenant vampires. One that the PC had an emotional attachment to. Get him riled up to fight against the Traditional vampires or with the Covenant vampires and join their cause. Use this to demonstate how the Covenant vampire abilites would help him in his fight. Tempt him to the dark side with the advantages it would bring him directly shown in play, no just with the template.

You have to give him a role playing reason to want them, and not railroad him into the decision. Give him the illusion of choice. Make him feel like he chose the path knowing full well the consquences.

Hadraniel

First Post
Do you want to leave it up to the player?

If not, then just have one of the evil vampires turn her. Maybe in hopes of controlling the character and destroying the covenant female vampire that is her friend. But, then through some chain of events the Sire does not gain control of her or not completely.

You gain another villain, ally, and vampire in your campaign.

DiFier

First Post
I like this idea. Does the PC know that the NPC is a vampire? The NPC could steer / leave cluse for the PC about the evil vampires' society. You could also have the main bad guys be the evil vamps or have the evil vamps be the focus of an adventure or two. then the NPC can help with info sand support eventually have her offer to help in her (the pc's) fight against the evil vampires.

milotha said:
Does the PC have any reason to want to join the Covenant vampires? Does he agree with their view points? Is he chaotic? Is he anarchical? Does he have any reason to hate or seek revenge on the Traditional vampires? Foster some of these feelings. Nuture these tendencies and let them grow on the PC.

I would stage a situation where the PC was more likely to decide to fight with the Covenant vampires. One that the PC had an emotional attachment to. Get him riled up to fight against the Traditional vampires or with the Covenant vampires and join their cause. Use this to demonstate how the Covenant vampire abilites would help him in his fight. Tempt him to the dark side with the advantages it would bring him directly shown in play, no just with the template.

You have to give him a role playing reason to want them, and not railroad him into the decision. Give him the illusion of choice. Make him feel like he chose the path knowing full well the consquences.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads