D&D General What Would Happen if Fiends Came to Fill the "Low CR Monsters" Niche?

I've noticed that in sci-fi settings there is often some 'insect swarm' type enemy which the heroes can kill without remorse. Tyranids being an example.

I'm not sure if DnD has anything equivalent to that. The good thing about some tyranid-like hive mind species (obviously toned way down to fantasy levels) is that it can be intelligent enough to give players a more complex fight like they're looking for. While also being pretty safe from people wanting to play 'good adventurer' versions of those same creatures.
Kython?

(from the 3e Book of Vile Darkness)

They're a pretty close ripoff of the xenomorphs form aliens, although without the egg bit and technically they're fiends.

d24454_modern

Explorer
🙄

Adding the word “many” to the description of evil gnolls doesn’t actually do anything to shift the lore. Show is what the non-evil gnolls look like, don’t just tell us they could theoretically exist somewhere. Then give us PC stats for them.
That feels somewhat restrictive in my opinion.

A good person can look and act like anything so long as they’re not doing anything bad.

There wouldn’t be a point in codifying what a good creature tends to act like. That’s why even stereotypically good creatures such as Dwarves and Elves only really have their culture expanded upon; not their “goodness”.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That feels somewhat restrictive in my opinion.

A good person can look and act like anything so long as they’re not doing anything bad.

There wouldn’t be a point in codifying what a good creature tends to act like. That’s why even stereotypically good creatures such as Dwarves and Elves only really have their culture expanded upon; not their “goodness”.
So expand on the culture of gnolls.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I've noticed that in sci-fi settings there is often some 'insect swarm' type enemy which the heroes can kill without remorse. Tyranids being an example.

I'm not sure if DnD has anything equivalent to that. The good thing about some tyranid-like hive mind species (obviously toned way down to fantasy levels) is that it can be intelligent enough to give players a more complex fight like they're looking for. While also being pretty safe from people wanting to play 'good adventurer' versions of those same creatures.
There's kruthiks in this edition. They're hive-minded, insectoid and reptiloid, and intelligent.

Reynard

Legend
So expand on the culture of gnolls.
Why don't you expand on the culture of gnolls? When WotC does it, now everyone else has to do the work to remove it or revise it to fit their world. But if WotC tells you in the MM the very bare bones about gnolls, each table and setting book is free to define them however they want: puppy dude,evil demonic hyena man, noble Klingerike (my take years ago). The core game doesn't need ANY lore, really.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases