• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Would Persuade You To Play A Fully Classed Fighter?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Hey, thanks a lot for that feedback. :D

On one thing I agree 100%, namely that nobles should be set up to rule and lead. Now the aristocrat is supposed to be an NPC class, and I have to admit I don't usually involve them in discussions concerning PC classes, that's why I didn't think of it. Furthermore, I haven't read the different takes on the Noble class, but I'd say they'd be a prime candidate for rulership through birthright. ;)

Historically speaking, rulers came to power through a lot of different means. You have conquerors like Genghis Khan, political schemers like the Borgia family, religious rulers like many archbishops or cardinals in Europe, etc. So yes, the other classes could, and in my opinion should, be afforded some kind of "career choice" for the higher levels. I sometimes miss the fact that Basic D&D offered those choices from a certain level on for every class available. :\

Lots of that can, of course, be integrated by the DM, or expressed via roleplaying. But for some reason, roleplaying advantages and disadvantages have taken a backseat to the mechanical variety, and character development through new feats, skills and personal powers has taken precedence over character development through interaction with the campaign world, at least where most of the books are concerned. Exceptions are books like "Strongholds & Dynasties" and "Dynasties & Demagogues", and probably parts of the recently published DMG II.

And before I ramble too much, I'll simply repeat that, looking at the base PC classes present in the PHB, to me the fighter is the most viable class for temporal power. The variant airwalkrr posted sounds like a good take on that aspect. It probably could use a little broadening to accomodate different variants of fighters (like Evilhalfling's sailor, for example), but basically it offers the fighter more than simply new cool fighting powers as he progresses. It turns the high-level fighter from being the meatshield for spellcasters to being a force to reckon with on every level of the game. And that's something that definitely would entice me to continue playing a fighter up to level 20. :)

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
How about a special ability that gets stronger with more feats? For example, "combat insight" could allow the fighter to gain a 1-round damage bonus equal to the number of feats he has, 1/day, at level 5. Increases to 2/day at 12 and 3/day at 20.

Keeps the flavor of the fighter (or, to be more accurate, the lack thereof) by not being too specific, and it has huge synergy with the fighter's main bonus, providing incentive to stay in the class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads