What would this society look like?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The image of a sylvan glade is far removed from that of the elven orchards; nature itself is bent to the will of the elven craftsman, and their understandings of the world only garner a greater ability to change it. An elven forest will appear shaped by the hands of time; strange stone formations worn away by channeling water through odd canals, trees in unnatural shapes via pressurization and weighting, and beautifully complex arrangements of plants are all common signs.

What you had there about Elves resonated strongly with some thoughts I've had before, as have people like the Pinis of Elfquest fame.

Just as I've done in the past, I could see your elves doing stuff like this:

JC Raulston Arboretum - J. C. Raulston's Slide Collection

Or the infamous Gilroy Gardens (see also "Bonfante Gardens" and "The Tree Circus")

Bonfante (Gilroy) Gardens, CA pictures from gardens photos on webshots

Additional thought- some of those braided trees are quite nice and beautiful...unless you've been imprisoned in one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Shadefolk tend to dwell in areas that other races find uncomfortable, either due to heat or cold (as the Shadefolk feel little discomfort in head or cold, and even that is limited to temperatures well out of the human norm). Clothing worn by these Shadefolk accentuate their otherworldly appearance, which stems from their eyes and skin: upon puberty their eyes take on the look of golden orbs, which set against their skin "like the stars of the highest heaven on a sheet of smooth velvet". Shadefolk who survive their change at puberty (from an appearance that is human but for the lack of a shadow to their otherworldly appearance of adulthood) are natural leaders, fearless and strong. Shadefolk mages find that their energies are different than that of the other races, and often draw inspiration from the stars themselves. While rumors abound about the source of Shadefolk and whether they can reproduce naturally or are deviant births from other races (particularly human), it is generally believed that Shadefolk are able to reproduce. If any non-Shadefolk has given birth to a child with no shadow, the child was abandoned and the preceding pregnancy explained off as a miscarriage or a stillbirth.

This leaves the strong race open (I don't have anything particularly good in mind) and the tough race (dwarves) somewhat undefined. Any comments, questions, ideas, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Physically, your Shadefolk sound similar to C.J. Cherryh's Atevi (from the Foreigner series), though without their great stature. (Great series, BTW.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer_(novel)

A strong race, eh?

Reworked Warforged or reptilians could work. Some kind of earth elemental race (as I mentioned with Antaeus) would also work, but they don't have to be size L or M.

You could look at making a variant anthro animal race that doesn't have a LA.

Or you could look at other D20 based games. The wookie from Star Wars has a Str bonus and a racial rage feature. Translate that into your campaign, and let the racial rage stack with the barbarian class feature.

In addition, you might want to look at this thread to get a good look at what this guy did with gnomes- as I stated in that thread, it would be just as great for traditional urban Halflings.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/plots-places/257044-gnome-mafia-game.html

Last edited:

Set

First Post
Man, that is like THE question! Good catch!

Other possible reasons include religion, higher than average eco-awareness driving them to avoid resource depletion, chasing particularly desirable resources (salmon in the spring, honey in the summer, wild corn in the fall and shelter in the winter), or just a regular trade route.

It could also be a cultural divide creeping up. The nomads had always met at the two rivers site to establish winter camps / trading moots, and over the centuries, more and more of the nomads elders and infirm ended up 'tending the camp' during the wandering months. The culture has changed, the 'campsite' is now a thriving community with thousands of full-time residents (and not just old, infirm, etc.), but the nomads still pride themselves on their riding skills and their nomadic traditions, only coming to 'the city' for the big annual 'moot.'

The nomads would look down somewhat on the 'soft folk,' especially disrespecting the young men among them (for not being like them), while the city folk are growing more educated, and developing advanced skills, such as metal-working, which the nomads begrudgingly come to buy, while trying not to acknowledge how dependent they have become on their 'soft' city-brethren.

This sort of thing fits with what tended to happen with Mongol and Bedouin societies.

Set

First Post
Dwarves -

So many things to do with dwarves. Hell, I would love to see dwarves actually be the unicorns of a setting for once; very rarely seen, revered and feared at the same time, and highly valued. But since that's never going to happen...

In the lore for the Shadowbane online game, Dwarves are a static race, fashioned from stone by their creator-god at the dawn of time to tend the earth's forges. They are never born, and they never die. All appear male, but none of them have any gender in any meaningful sense.

This was a very cool 'spin' on Dwarves, explained the dearth of female dwarves in fantasy literature, and also made them rare and precious, each dwarf being a unique entity, formed when the earth was new.

It would be easy enough to tweak this to work mechanically (and not be unbalancing, with 'newbie' dwarves having millenia of experience). Simply say that the race has spent their entire lives underground, among other dwarves, their immortality and ages of wisdom are ultimately meaningless, mechanically, as they existed for millenia in a changeless state (effectively unable to learn or gain EXP, performing rote tasks). Some strange event has occured in the depths of the earth that has prompted some dwarves to throw down their picks and journey to the world above, 'awakening' from their stony slumber and joining the other races of man.

What drove them from the depths? Are they hunting for something up here in the surface world? Is there some secret agenda at work? Do the dwarves even know, on a conscious level, why they have abandoned their sacred charge to walk among the surface races?

Or have they finished whatever task they were fashioned to perform (or perhaps just the first stage of it), and are now 'at liberty' (perhaps only 'for a short time, a few centuries' before they have to return to the underforges)?

Every 'core' race could do with some tweaking;

For one game, I made Gnomes into gypsies, travelling the world in brightly painted wagons, famous entertainers, tricksters, soothsayers and animal trainers. They claimed to have a kingdom somewhere, but would never share the secrets of it's location. Their arcanists claimed to be tutored in the 'Invisible College of Thaumaturgy,' which *did* exist (and was kinda/sorta invisible, being an extradimensional space like a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, complete with illusory tutors and spellbooks, all concealed within one of their brightly painted wagons).

In a 2E game, inspired by a Dragon article about 'people under the hill,' I made elves into fey creatures, immortal, jaded, dissipated, and prone to terrible rages and heart-wrenching displays of grief, as their passions burned hotter than fire. An elfs life among humans would be like the life of Elric, forever mourning the friends that he has unintentionally slain. Creatures of chaos made flesh, the elven people live their immortal lives for the present. Every whim is acted upon, every regret is forgotten by the new day, when the elf may make the same spectacular mistakes he made the previous day, all over again...

Halflings? I dunno. I picture them less as Kender-nomads and more as Hobbit-stay-at-homes. They would have the most civilized communities, with common sense 'laws' enforced by good-natured sherriffs. Their communities would blend into the surroundings, simply because of the sense of security they get from living in underground homes, and well-tended fields would surround their townships. Being sensible folk, and surprisingly torn between insular and gregarious, when a town got 'too big,' whole families would pack up and establish new communities. There was no set law or procedure, and, quite often, this would just 'happen' when one family got fed up with their neighbors, as the stress and strain of a community growing 'too close for comfort' begins to lead to fights and arguments and other stresses off too many people packed into too tight an area. As a result, new halfling communities would almost invariably be settled by two sorts of families. Troublemakers, who left because they'd burned their bridges, or curmudgeons who claimed that the 'community was going to hell in a handbasket anyway, so we got out of there!' All throughout the lands would be quaint little Halfling farming villages, selling their wares to each other and the 'Big Folk,' living their lives. Dwarves, Elves and Humans might be surprised to know the true population of the Halflings, as they only see a little village here and a little village there, not realizing how quickly those 'little villages' add up, and that the 'little guys' outnumber some of their neighbors, and have their nations not only surrounded, but thoroughly infiltrated, and more dependent than they realize on Halfling-made bread and beer...

More unusual races can go even further afield from typical depictions.

The Warforged could be replaced with the Forgeborn, dwarven-created constructs that have furnaces in their bellies, and need to 'eat' wood and oil to keep their fires burning.

Changelings can be replaced with Skinchangers, who have the ability to slither out of their skin and look like a different person. At 1st level, they might take 10 minutes to do such a thing. By 5 HD, they can slither out of their skin as a full-round action (but it still costs them somehow, until they take a certain amount of time to devour the shed skin). Their 'true form,' in which they are never seen, is serpentine, and even when 'wearing another skin,' they have keen vision and the ability to 'squeeze' as a creature one size class smaller than themselves, due to their flexible form.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Playing off of Set's idea about them being released from a task...

Perhaps Dwarves were Clockwork Constructs created for a particular task by some god known for being a god of artifice or invention- say, like Hephaestus.

Perhaps they are proto-Inevitables, created to be the sentient tools used to manufacture the Inevitables to their creators' specifications. Now that the Inevitables have been made, Dwarves have been set aside. They are obsolete tools in the eyes of their creator.

Now purposeless, they have decided to venture out of the Underearth to create their own destinies. Some may even hope that if they do well enough at that, their creator will give them new work to do.

They are not dour- they are purposeful. They are creations created to create, so create they must- making them among the world's best crafters.

Because of their nature (read, they have innate armor which gives them ACF), they are poor arcane casters.

Their structure makes them both powerful (Powerful build) and sturdy (Stability, Con bonus).

Due to their construction, they are somewhat heat resistant.

Again, this is somewhat of a melding of the Dwarf and Warforged racial concepts, but with a different flavor. And of course, some other elements besides.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another look for Dwarves- a shapechanging race.

In human society, wandering the world, they look much as we think of them now- short, stocky, hairy humanoids.

However, they have an alternative form- their true form- not unlike a dire badger, which explains their facility with digging through the Earth...with large (dangerous natural weapon) claws for digging, weak eyes compensated for by tremorsense, and a burrowing speed of 30, they are more at home in the Earth than above it. As a result, Dwarven cities have more in common with termite mounds than a surface city...or even the communities of other inhabitants of the Underdark.

Their worst enemies are not the goblinoids- don't tell them that, though- but rather Bulettes who hunt them not for food, but for fun. Ankhegs rarely dig that deep, and Worms are more of a natural hazard than a menace.

This take is a combo of the traditional Dwarf with the Hengeyokai of Oriental Adventures.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think you need to round out the Shadefolk as well- I've read the description a few times and I really don't have an idea as to where they fit in, what they do, what sets them apart (besides being shadowless).

rogueboy

First Post
I think you need to round out the Shadefolk as well- I've read the description a few times and I really don't have an idea as to where they fit in, what they do, what sets them apart (besides being shadowless).

I've come to this realization myself in the last couple of days, and sadly I'm not really sure what to do with them. Any chance you (or anyone else) have ideas for them? ;)

As for the dwarves, I like the proto-Inevitable idea. It gives them a reason to be crafters, as well as for being resistant to magic (both using and being attacked by it). I'll have to think about what other implecations this semi-crafted form has for them, but I think it can go somewhere interesting. And it lets dwarves stay somewhat close to their traditional roles while having something that makes them unique, which I like.

I have another thread on the Giant in the Playground forums (Refluffing the Races - Giant in the Playground Forums, I have the same handle over there), which is also discussing the various races. One of the early concerns over there was how Gnomes/Elves/Shadefolk fit into the various stats, which is still being discussed. I've also started leaning towards using Goliaths as the strong race, as I've been discussing over there. The discussion has most recently turned to examining niches (environmental, social, etc) as a method to determine what is still needed in the races.

Anyways, please continue to post ideas (here or on the GitP thread, I have notifications set up for both).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've come to this realization myself in the last couple of days, and sadly I'm not really sure what to do with them. Any chance you (or anyone else) have ideas for them? ;)

Perhaps their lack of shadows is due to a faint inner radiance that is invisible during the day, but at night makes them glow like spectres...

This is due to an innate connection to the Positive Material Plane, which also make them great foes of the Undead (+1 to turn checks and spells which channel positive energy).

As for the dwarves, I like the proto-Inevitable idea. It gives them a reason to be crafters, as well as for being resistant to magic (both using and being attacked by it). I'll have to think about what other implecations this semi-crafted form has for them, but I think it can go somewhere interesting. And it lets dwarves stay somewhat close to their traditional roles while having something that makes them unique, which I like.

"I am Crafter of 9, leader of Borgheim Dwarf City- prepare to be astounded."

You might want to take a look at some of the magi-tech supplements out there, like Monte Cook's Chaositech ( http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Chaos ), Bruce Kordell's When the Sky Falls ( http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Sky ), Perpetrated Press' Arsenal ( [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Arsenal-System-Weapons-Guide-Sourcebook/dp/0972135804[/ame] ) or what have you to give the proto-Inevitable Dwarves a bit more flair.

I've also started leaning towards using Goliaths as the strong race, as I've been discussing over there. The discussion has most recently turned to examining niches (environmental, social, etc) as a method to determine what is still needed in the races.

Here's a thought- do you have access to Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved game(s)?

Those giants are kind of special- a little bit like the Irda, a little bit like (classical) titans, and so forth. Definitely worth a look.

For that matter, the Dragonlance Irda don't suck either.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps their lack of shadows is due to a faint inner radiance that is invisible during the day, but at night makes them glow like spectres...

This is due to an innate connection to the Positive Material Plane, which also make them great foes of the Undead (+1 to turn checks and spells which channel positive energy).

Taking this a bit further, perhaps Shadefolk are the exact opposites of Shadows.

IOW, at some point in history, one race was magically split into two, in order to punish them, perhaps because they worked unnatural magic (perhaps your world's equivalent of the overconfident Atlanteans of legend), perhaps because they tried to overthrow the gods...whatever. They were split- the corporeal forms becoming the Shadefolk (linked evermore to the Positve Energy plane), and their excised shadows becoming what we know as Shadows- dwellers in the plane of Negative Energy.

In such a world, Shadows are not truly undead, but are still turnable because of their connection to the Negative Energy plane- IOW, this is a flavor change with no mechanical effect.

But similarly, Shadefolk would be turnable by evil clerics...

Remove ads