D&D (2024) What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D?

A summoner or blue mage for me.

Summoner becomes the ultimate pet class. The character is actually pretty weak, but the summons get powerful augmentations. Off the top of my head the summoner is a known spell caster that can learn any conjuration spell in the game. Make their turn simultaneous with the summon and give them actions and bonus actions that empower the summon for a round.

Blue Mage learns a bunch of monster abilities while the subclass gives a focus on one particular type of monster. Spell slots are used to power the monster abilities. Much like the summoner I would limit their spells to only being transmutation.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like your ideas - and yeah Agrippa who is linked to La Verdadera Destreza which to me always seemed like it had a least a thematic link to Hermetic Magic and particularly magic circles and warding circles and stuff, particularly John Dee and all that.
Yeah I mean to me, it’s right there. I get so frustrated when people claim the archetype has no story…like…I’m sorry, have y’all never read or watched a story of a wandering mystic weaponmaster or would-be weaponmaster?

My first draft of the swordmage gives them a manual esoterica in which they can record their spells (mostly ritual) and their techniques, and can learn both from other mystics and fighters. I may go back to that, but start from scratch and borrow from OGL sources of weapon attack spells and martial techniques so I’m not making a whole class list myself. The ritual spells I’m more comfortable coming up with myself.

I’m currently working on making the Anathemir more able to perform its themes and story, and survive doing so. It started life as a binder, with a d6 HD.

I’m giving the class Unarmored defense (Int) for now, but I might find soemthing more interesting to do. Maybe in tier two give them a deflect missiles style feature for redirecting magic attacks? Or could save that for a separate monk with a spellbook swordmage if I still do that. Or they could share a feature, tbh.

Also at level 1 is pact magic, which is prepared spells in this case, and you learn Unseen servant and find familiar, as well as 4 other Anathemir spells. You can cast US and FF as an action w/o components, 1/LR.

Lastly, you choose one of three Implements of Goetic Invocation to master.

If you choose the blade implement to master at level 1, you get the ability to replace the attacks of the attack action with melee spell attacks (damage type becomes a damage type of any Anathemir cantrip you know), and once per round you can replace the damage of such an attack with the effects of one your Anathemir cantrips that require an attack and target one creature, even if it is normally a ranged cantrip.

You can also, if you don’t want to go gish, choose the Bell, which makes you a better summoner and breaker of chains, or the Bowl, which makes you just a stronger spellcaster in general.

At level 2, you get your first vestiges, one chosen freely and one determined by your level 1 implement mastery choice. This gives a small boost to reinforce what the implement does, or make it interact with your familiar, and has an upgrade around level 5 (maybe 7 idk), that really brings it home. This dynamic ensures that your chosen level 1 implement always matters, even when you get the other 2, and defines the way the class plays outside of your actual subclass, which will be a bit smaller than a Warlock’s patron, I think.

Vael

Legend
I picked Artificer, because I want the Artificer in the PHB and think it needs some love, but I'll be honest, I'm not really satisfied with it as a half caster. I don't think full or half caster progression is quite right for the Artificer and wish we had some more flexibility in class chassis to do ... something else. Maybe the Warlock progression? I dunno ...

As for an arcane half-caster, yeah, I could see many different options working.

Summoner becomes the ultimate pet class. The character is actually pretty weak, but the summons get powerful augmentations. Off the top of my head the summoner is a known spell caster that can learn any conjuration spell in the game. Make their turn simultaneous with the summon and give them actions and bonus actions that empower the summon for a round.

I'm surprised that there's been such resistance to such a class. As an MTG player, as someone who's seen the popularity of Pokemon, why wouldn't we have a class centered on summoning? I understand the difficulty of action economy and balance, and the crossover with Rangers and Druids, but still ...

Ultimately, I think I want OneDnD to be ... less hostile to adding more classes to the game than 5e was, but not open the floodgates and have the same issues of class bloat that 3.5 and 4e had. If nothing else, some of the playtest, like consolidating spell lists, is an attempt to "future-proof" and make it more expansion friendly. Cause I still haven't gotten my Psion, and I wish they'd try again with the Mystic, I liked that approach.

mellored

Legend
As far as the artificer goes. I would like more infusions, less spells.

Maybe no spells except a spell sub-class. Or have spells in wands.

doctorbadwolf

I picked Artificer, because I want the Artificer in the PHB and think it needs some love, but I'll be honest, I'm not really satisfied with it as a half caster. I don't think full or half caster progression is quite right for the Artificer and wish we had some more flexibility in class chassis to do ... something else. Maybe the Warlock progression? I dunno ...

As for an arcane half-caster, yeah, I could see many different options working.

I'm surprised that there's been such resistance to such a class. As an MTG player, as someone who's seen the popularity of Pokemon, why wouldn't we have a class centered on summoning? I understand the difficulty of action economy and balance, and the crossover with Rangers and Druids, but still ...

Ultimately, I think I want OneDnD to be ... less hostile to adding more classes to the game than 5e was, but not open the floodgates and have the same issues of class bloat that 3.5 and 4e had. If nothing else, some of the playtest, like consolidating spell lists, is an attempt to "future-proof" and make it more expansion friendly. Cause I still haven't gotten my Psion, and I wish they'd try again with the Mystic, I liked that approach.
Tbh I don’t know why the chain pact warlock isn’t a summoner as it is. Like…cool a familiar, how about the ability to use a spell that summons or creates a creature to instead transform your familiar into the creature a la wildshape rules, so retaining the benefits of being a familiar, but now it’s a dryad or a balgura or whatever.

Chain invocations could give the used of good summoning spells since they don’t want them on the warlock spell list, but like…isn’t the warlock thematically perfect for being a summoner? Like, you make pacts with otherworldly beings for power. Of course you should be able to call upon the servants of your patron or source (going hard on the servant-style patron relationship was a mistake IMO)

You have few spell slots so you want them to count, and you generally want to cast 1 spell per fight and then use cantrips and class features. That’s mechanically perfect for having that big spell be a summoning!

Also, letting them have more good, strongly scaling, concentration spells, would solve a lot of the power issues with the class, IMO, and make EB spamming a lot less boring.

Man…I’m gonna have to rewrite the warlock now. My “binder” turned into a more magical less alchemical Witcher, and now I’m gonna have to “fix” the warlock into having its pact boons actually do what they need to do…

doctorbadwolf

Yeah I mean to me, it’s right there. I get so frustrated when people claim the archetype has no story…like…I’m sorry, have y’all never read or watched a story of a wandering mystic weaponmaster or would-be weaponmaster?

My first draft of the swordmage gives them a manual esoterica in which they can record their spells (mostly ritual) and their techniques, and can learn both from other mystics and fighters. I may go back to that, but start from scratch and borrow from OGL sources of weapon attack spells and martial techniques so I’m not making a whole class list myself. The ritual spells I’m more comfortable coming up with myself.

I’m currently working on making the Anathemir more able to perform its themes and story, and survive doing so. It started life as a binder, with a d6 HD.

I’m giving the class Unarmored defense (Int) for now, but I might find soemthing more interesting to do. Maybe in tier two give them a deflect missiles style feature for redirecting magic attacks? Or could save that for a separate monk with a spellbook swordmage if I still do that. Or they could share a feature, tbh.

Also at level 1 is pact magic, which is prepared spells in this case, and you learn Unseen servant and find familiar, as well as 4 other Anathemir spells. You can cast US and FF as an action w/o components, 1/LR.

Lastly, you choose one of three Implements of Goetic Invocation to master.

If you choose the blade implement to master at level 1, you get the ability to replace the attacks of the attack action with melee spell attacks (damage type becomes a damage type of any Anathemir cantrip you know), and once per round you can replace the damage of such an attack with the effects of one your Anathemir cantrips that require an attack and target one creature, even if it is normally a ranged cantrip.

You can also, if you don’t want to go gish, choose the Bell, which makes you a better summoner and breaker of chains, or the Bowl, which makes you just a stronger spellcaster in general.

At level 2, you get your first vestiges, one chosen freely and one determined by your level 1 implement mastery choice. This gives a small boost to reinforce what the implement does, or make it interact with your familiar, and has an upgrade around level 5 (maybe 7 idk), that really brings it home. This dynamic ensures that your chosen level 1 implement always matters, even when you get the other 2, and defines the way the class plays outside of your actual subclass, which will be a bit smaller than a Warlock’s patron, I think.
Okay I wanna follow up on this before bed so I don’t forget.

But first, @Ruin Explorer I want to apologize for my attitude previously. You queries came across as setting up an argument against the gish and any other arcane half-caster, and obviously that wasn’t the case.

That out of the way, the Anathemir.

Level 1: Implements of Goetic Invocation (choose one of three that becomes your primary ritual tool and Spellcasting focus, granting various benefits as you level. You master the other two later, but you’ll generally be focused on your primary for most of your carreer. Each gives one spell always prepared at each spell level up to 5th, that help sell the concept)

tbh the actual archetypes might end up Paladin oath sized rather than warlock patron sized, because the tools and vestiges are just extremely juicy thematically and mechanically

Also at 1, you get Warding Sigil (Unarmored defense Int) and pact magic (prepared spells with ritual casting, and unseen servant and find familiar as automatic freebies you can cast component free as an action once per long rest. Spellbook is called your Goetic Key. Could change to Hermetic Key. Think Greater Key of Solomon)

I cleaned up the wording of the Blade Implement. It allows you to make your attacks with your implement weapon as melee spell attacks, and doing so allows you to change the damage type to the damage type of a class cantrip you know. It’s made clear that this means that you are taking the attack actions, can benefit from dual wielding, threaten your space with your weapon, can take opportunity attacks, etc, and Once per round you can replace such an attack’s damage with the on-hit effects of one of your attack cantrips.

A good spell selection and a good set of attack cantrip options should make that really sing without being OP.

The Bell Implement makes you Abjuration and conjuration spells stronger by adding Int to concentration on them, and to ability checks made as part of resolving them, such as dispel magic, and you gain till the dead as a bonus cantrip.

The Bowl gives you a bonus spell slot 1/LR. That should be plenty at level one lol.

Level 2: Vestiges of Power. You get 1 free and one based on your level one implement choice.

Blade- level 2 you tie your implement to your warding Sigil, and while wielding it and no shield, you can manifest a shield of magical force that requires no free hand and lasts for 1 hour, PB/LR. I genuinely don’t know if that will be good enough to make a low level Anathemir survive combat, but we will see.
Level 5 you get extra attack
Other vestiges for blade include being able to do the cantrip-as-damage trick 1/turn, and ability to drain energy when attacking to either get THP, or something like that.

Bell: you forge or are given nine “gate keys” that are symbolically connected to the nine gates of The River (of death). Each key has a name, and can be “rung” like a bell, but has the appearance of a very finely crafted key. You master the first key, Tsemmael, which basically gives you 1 use of turn “anathema” ie undead, fiends, and aberrations.
Level 5 TBD

Bowl - probably an absorb elements type effect, maybe a spell eater effect? Maybe a divination thing!?
Level 5 TBD

LEVEL 3: Binding Seal (subclass) choice.

Spell selection is stuff like summoning spells, banishment, hard control like hold person, etc. very little blasting in leveled spells

It's such a staple of fiction. What we have so far can scratch the itch, but at this point im ready for more. A dedicated class also has the benefit of not trying to balance summon/pet subclasses against the base classes. Instead it can be built right in and accounted for. Kinda like assuming a rogue will have their sneak attack 90% of the time. We just assume a summoner has a summon 90% of the time and balance from there.
Not wanting to dilute things is admirable, but they've gotta put new stuff out at some point to see what sticks. Don't just playtest it. Put out a 'What If?' style book and let us see a fully fledged Psion, Gish, Summoner, Warlord, etc.

PF2e has been pretty good with class addition, having 22 classes with a 23rd coming soon.

I think DnD can do with less classes than pathfinder 2e, but they shouldn't be as averse to adding them as they were in 5e. Artificer, Warlord, Psion/Mystic, Swordmage, and Summoner are the ones which I think are needed. I wouldn't object to blood hunter being added in a wildmount setting book either, but I don't think it's 'needed'.

Vael

Legend
I think DnD can do with less classes than pathfinder 2e, but they shouldn't be as averse to adding them as they were in 5e. Artificer, Warlord, Psion/Mystic, Swordmage, and Summoner are the ones which I think are needed. I wouldn't object to blood hunter being added in a wildmount setting book either, but I don't think it's 'needed'.
Those are the same classes I would also see added to OneDnD.

Yeah I get it. I just felt like if we went multiple choice half of you would be trying to pick all the options lol. I mean, I get it, personally I'm a maximalist class-wise. Rifts had many flaws but too many classes wasn't one lol.
I'm a "subclass maximalist"; I believe the optimal balance between classes and subclasses is approximately even numbers of classes and subclasses per class to make choosing easier. And only the wizard and cleric currently have too many (or rather too many boring ones that should be cut).

Remove ads