D&D (2024) What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D?

Just going to toss out the idea that artificers could potentially be the base class for sword magic.

Maybe call it a rune blade or something. Still need the spells, and maybe a few more infusions.
Boots of the winding path would be a good addition to a sword mage.
Artificer subclass is how I did my version of the Swordmage, on the basis that they channel magic through their weapon, which seems very much in the Artificer concept. The subclass allowed layering more than one infusion into a single item and making attacks in conjunction with casting spells. I added some additional infusions, like a weapon one that allowed the wielder to throw or shoot their weapon, then teleport to where it hit for example.

I mean, I'd like to see a dedicated pet class like the pathfinder summoner. It being scattered around lots of varying subclasses really limits how much of the power budget can go into the pet.
If I was given free reign, I would make a single "Pet class" with little inherent flavour, and a warlock-pact-like choice to determine role of pet (mount, combat companion, swarm of minor pets etc). The subclass would be what actually determined the flavour of the class, such as Necromancer, Construct Artificer, Beastmaster, Spirit summoner etc. There would be an invocation-like range of choices to customise the character and/or their companion further.

Remove ads