D&D 2E What would you bring from PF2e to your 5e game?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I still see it as nerf for fighters. Currently in 5e an 11th level fighter can make 3 attacks and move, all others (with extra attack) can make 2 attacks and move.

Your suggestion removes the movement from the fighter. The fighter is basically stuck in place. So you have all other classes with extra attack can make 2 attacks with no penalty and can move (just like 5e but with less movement) and the fighter can make 3 attacks with no penalty, but no movement (which is a downgrade from they can do in 5e). Not to mention if the non-fighters get advantage (or a bless) they can essentially act like a fighter which means they are more versatile.

Shoot, I actually did forget about movement. Whoops. Maybe fighters at level 5 can attack twice with one action once a turn. Hmm, need to think on that some more. Or maybe I find another way to boost fighters damage and accuracy outside of attacking more. Back to drawing board.

Ashrym

Legend
Something that stood out to me was the standard ability score building. Flat 10's base with race adjustments, class adjustment, backgrounds, and then some selected choices. Background feats look like a version of 5e's features but I like moving some of the ability score distribution to the background. It's simple and looks easy to move over.

The other thing is sorcerer bloodlines dictating spell lists, but I think that might need a closer look at the class itself.

dave2008

Legend
Something that stood out to me was the standard ability score building. Flat 10's base with race adjustments, class adjustment, backgrounds, and then some selected choices. Background feats look like a version of 5e's features but I like moving some of the ability score distribution to the background. It's simple and looks easy to move over.

The other thing is sorcerer bloodlines dictating spell lists, but I think that might need a closer look at the class itself.
Would you include the negative race adjustments?

I think spells wouldn't be that hard in terms of the 3 action system. Basically every component is an action. Since divine word, for example, has just one component (V), it would take one action. You could cast a second spell if it had 2 or fewer components (say sacred flame with V,S). I would have it cost 1 action for any "you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn to mark a new creature." The 3 action system would replace the bit about only being able to cast a cantrip on an OA if you have already cast another spell.

Ashrym

Legend
This probably requires redoing all spell lists to separate lists n a way similar to what PF2 has.

It might. I was already thinking of simply using divine for cleric, primal for druid, arcane for all wizard, and occult for the combination of sorcerer and warlock as a basis to test it. There's certainly nothing wrong with more sources than just arcane and divine. I'm not sure I would go as far as to separating the lists by those sources, however; I think a tailored list has more flavor.

Would you include the negative race adjustments?

Yes, because it's already built into 5e with the 8 base point buy instead of the 10 base PF uses with boosts.

dave2008

Legend
I think spells wouldn't be that hard in terms of the 3 action system. Basically every component is an action. Since divine word, for example, has just one component (V), it would take one action. You could cast a second spell if it had 2 or fewer components (say sacred flame with V,S). I would have it cost 1 action for any "you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn to mark a new creature." The 3 action system would replace the bit about only being able to cast a cantrip on an OA if you have already cast another spell.
I like the idea, but clearly it is a bit more complex as the 5e spells didn’t have this concept in mind whe they were designed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases