D&D General What would you call a cross between a Diviner and a Psychic?

Keldryn

Adventurer
The Clairvoyant:

julio-cesar-quijada-jimenez-eddie-the-clairvoyant-derek-riggs.jpg

Yaarel

He Mage
Dictionary.com
adj
1. involving or characterized by esoteric, otherworldly, or symbolic practices or content, as certain religious ceremonies and art; spiritually significant; ethereal.
2. of the nature of or pertaining to mysteries known only to the initiated:mystic rites.
3, of occult character, power, or significance:

noun
1. a person who claims to attain, or believes in the possibility of attaining, insight into mysteries transcending ordinary human knowledge, as by direct communication with the divine or immediate intuition in a state of spiritual ecstasy.
2. a person initiated into religious mysteries.

Merriam-Webster.com
Mystic (Definition 1)

mys·tic | \ ˈmi-stik \

1: MYSTICAL sense 1a
2: of or relating to mysteries or esoteric rites : OCCULT
3: of or relating to mysticism or mystics

Mystic noun (Definition 2)
1 :
a follower of a mystical way of life
2: an advocate of a theory of mysticism

Mysticism

1: the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics
2: the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (such as intuition or insight)

Examples of mysticism in a Sentence

// Jewish, Christian, and Islamic mysticism.
// a student of Eastern mysticism
The dictionaries dont convey the connotations.

Generally the mystics of many different religious traditions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etcetera) agree they are all perceiving the same "ultimate reality" despite arriving by different traditions.

Yaarel

He Mage
He was more reality warper than telekinetic seer wasnt he? He always appeared where he was needed so that things happen as they should
Both are mind-over-matter.

I consider the Wish spell the purist expression of mind-over-matter. The mind wills it, thus the reality happens.

Yaarel

He Mage
Actually, I prefer the term "Prescient" (rather than diviner or psychic).

Both the psionic discipline and the arcane school can be called "Prescience".

jgsugden

Legend
I have a rough build for psionics in 5E, although I generally use it for NPCs and do not open it up to PCs as psionics are rare and I've been waiting for 5E to provide official rules. It is constructed around the six disciplines of the 2E Psionics Handbook (clairsentience (divination), psychokinesis (animating and controlling existing objects and forces), psychometabolism (body-changing powers), psychoportation (teleportation variants), telepathy (mental communication and psychic attacks), and metapsionics (enhancement of other psychic abilities)), but also includes a few extra disciplines of my own creation.

To me, based upon the old school disciplines of 2E, I'd recommend Clairsentient.

Remove ads