• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you like to see for Dragon and Dungeon magazine?

Krug

Newshound
No I didn't buy it over, but what would you want to see for Dragon and Dungeon magazine, now that a new publisher has bought it over? I like Dungeon as it is, though I wouldn't mind if they removed Polyhedron. I think Dragon should do less themed issues, though some of them are fun.

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Dragon could become what Polyhedron was. A place to showcase various D20 items and have mini-games. Dungeon could now have adventures for a variety of D20 games. So those are my thoughts.

William Ronald

Explorer
I hope Polyhedron remains in some form. I am an RPGA member.

I would prefer that Dragon be somewhat closer to the old Polyhedron format, with people writing articles that could work for a variety of games and settings. Of course, I expect Dragon may well focus on WoTC products but I think it should cover more than just WoTC and d20 products.

Dungeon should remain a place to have adventures.

What do the changes mean for the Living Greyhawk Journal?

I suspect we will get our answers soon.

William Ronald said:
I would prefer that Dragon be somewhat closer to the old Polyhedron format, with people writing articles that could work for a variety of games and settings. Of course, I expect Dragon may well focus on WoTC products but I think it should cover more than just WoTC and d20 products.

Hmm. Can't agree. I buy Dragon for ideas and articles for my D&D game. Branching out into other fantasy D20 stuff is okay. I'm not thrilled about the idea of them branching into other D20 settings--Spycraft doesn't interest me, for instance--and I really don't like the idea of them branching into non-D20 stuff.

Other magazines exist for that. Dragon's a D&D magazine, and I don't want it to become anything else--so much so that I'd have to seriously consider canceling my subscription if it did. It just wouldn't be useful enough to be worth the cost, to me at least.

Harlock

First Post
I'd like to see Dragon remain a D&D magazine, but with more coverage of the 3rd party companies. Book reviews would be nice. As far as themed issues go, well, that's hit or miss. Sometimes I really love the theme because I use it. Somtimes I hate it and will never use it and regret having paid for it. That's life. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

William Ronald

Explorer
Mouseferatu,

You may have a valid point. What I suspect will happen is that Dragon will remain mostly focused on D&D and d20. I do not have a problem with an occassional article for other systems, if it is well written. Also, some articles should be able to be used across game systems. For example, economics and heraldry are two topics which need not be tied too closely to the rules.

Dungeon will likely remain focused on D&D, largely because of the market.

I wonder what will become of Polyhedron.

In the good news, Lisa Stevens has been mentioned in connection to the publications. If my memory is correct, she is a gamer and has worked at WoTC. She was at GenCon back in 1997 at a panel with Peter Adkison of WoTC.

Erik Mona, I know that you frequent these boards. Can you or someone else from WoTC provide some insight on this news? How will the publications change? I hope the staff remains in place.

Also, when will the changes take place. I think there are a few people who might want to find out what sort of articles the publications are looking for from writers.

Dark Psion

First Post
I would like to see Dragon support other D20 books, or let them submit articles their settings. A good example would be the Psionic Toolkit from Fiery Dragon. Everything in the book could have been broken into articles for Dragon. As to themes, just broaden them a little and quit pimping the current WoC item so hard.

As to the fiction in Dragon, I would like to see stories that add flavor to the statistics on the player's side of the game.

For example, a Druid gains Wild Shape at 5th level, but what happens within the game? Some kind of ritual I would assume, but exactly what? Does the first animal form taken have any signifigence? Does the Druid have to "learn" from his animal companions?

The fiction section could add a lot of flavor to even the simplest aspects of the game this way, think about it;
Wizard summonig a Familiar
Gaining a Feat
Taking a Prestige class
Creating an uniquie spell
Gaining a "Class Ability"; i.e. Evasion

As to Polyhedron, If what we have seen on the back side of Dungeon was a magazine by it's self, I'd subcribe. Just don't limit it to RPGA members.

Marion Poliquin

First Post
Dungeon I would leave as is except that I would drop the "core book" borders on the pages. I don't know if the sale included Polyhedron so that part of the mag make stay or go. I'd like it to stay.

For Dragon mag. Less themes, less prestige classes filler articles. But ultimately the editor must go with what makes the mag sell, so I'll understand if they choose to ignore me :)

William Ronald

Explorer
Good point, Marion.

I want the publications to be successful as I enjoy reading them. I have seen what happens when companies ignore their customers. (If you can find it, read Ryan Dancey's essay on why TSR failed.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads