What year is it?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No problem. It is worth noting that, as TiwazTyrsfist said, the canonical date is probably somewhere between 1487 DR and 1495 DR ish. But that raises some weird lore questions that WotC has been reticent to try and answer, so for the most part they seem to be keeping such things pretty lowkey.

Some time ago, somebody asked Chris Perkins a similar question on Twitter, and he directed them to whichever previous edition setting book on the DMs Guild they prefer.

The metaplot is dead, even as the multiverse metasetting lives. All of the adventures are as useable in the 1E Realms as the 4E Realms, and they can happen in any order the DM prefers.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
5e FR is basically an odd version of Groundhogs Day, where the same days keep repeating with new Cataclysms, all for Elminster to finally learn not to be a smug scene-stealing jerk.

Zardnaar

Legend
Not available in my country. I listen mostly to older rock./metal and some of the new stuff coming out of Europe on youtube. Or covers of old stuff.

[video=youtube;G6r1dAire0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6r1dAire0Y&start_radio=1&list=RDG6r1dAire 0Y[/video]

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Based on the "present age" subsection of "A Brief History" in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, the present would have to be after 1489, as it discusses that has having taken place in the past. Also, enough time would have had to pass since 1489 for "other conflicts" to have arisen and new threats to have "imperiled the world."

Ymdar

Explorer
My game is set in 1495 and onwards which would give seven years for the war against the City of Shade to calm down and all remainder of the shades states to become forgotten realms.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Based on the "present age" subsection of "A Brief History" in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, the present would have to be after 1489, as it discusses that has having taken place in the past. Also, enough time would have had to pass since 1489 for "other conflicts" to have arisen and new threats to have "imperiled the world."

Also, according to Princes of the Apocalypse, "The adventure is set in 1491 DR, the Year of the Scarlet Witch", so canonically we're in at least 1491.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide also says "The next Shieldmeet will be observed in 1492 DR". Since that's future tense, we know that the current date can't be before Midsummer 1492. So 1491 DR seems like a good guess.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If I ran an FR game, I would strongly be tempted to use my old books and use the 2e or 3e era. Both of those were very well made.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Also, according to Princes of the Apocalypse, "The adventure is set in 1491 DR, the Year of the Scarlet Witch", so canonically we're in at least 1491.

"Canonically" there is no precise year: the APs have no metaplot impact, and there is no advancing timeline at all any more. Just some suggestions that a DM can take or leave.

Remove ads