Whatever happened to Necromancer Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllisterH

First Post
I don't think a lot of non 4e players realize how much of a prep timer cutter the DDI suite of tools have been....for BOTH players and DMs.

We're EASILY talking at the minimum, half the time and (given I've built up a database of NPCs/monsters) most of the time, we're talking to 1/3 to 1/4 the time.

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
I don't think a lot of non 4e players realize how much of a prep timer cutter the DDI suite of tools have been....for BOTH players and DMs.

We're EASILY talking at the minimum, half the time and (given I've built up a database of NPCs/monsters) most of the time, we're talking to 1/3 to 1/4 the time.

It's not like we non 4e players haven't got our own tools. PCGen might not be as supported as the character and monster builder, but it's still pretty helpful. And 3PPs are free to include their books in PGGen.

We might not have the DDI compendium, but we have this:
Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)
The Archives of Nethys - Home

We also have the option to purchase the Pathfinder Books as pdfs (or even get those for free in case of a subscription). Did I mention the playtest classes we got without paying a monthly fee?

Now, if only NG would release a Pathfinder Tome of Horrors ...
As it is now, Pathfinder players and DMs are pretty close to having the cake and eating it.

Wicht

Hero
As a non-4e player, I must admit that the DDI doesn't do a whole lot for me and having never used it, perhaps I'm just missing the thrill. But while a computer program that does it all for you is neat and quick, I have always enjoyed the pleasure of doing certain things myself.

I'm the sort, I like doing Sudoku. I like seeing how fast I can fill it all in on my own (and I can go pretty quick). Now a computer could fill in the same puzzle in a fraction of a second, but where is the accomplishment in that. There's no cerebral pleasure from having it all done for you.

Also, and this may just be the nostalgic coming out in me, I get a certain satisfaction from watching my children sit on the sofa, the rulebook open, the dice in their lap, as they slowly work to put together characters. They go carefully through the book, rereading the feats, checking the stats on each weapon, picking out the right skills. I know they are learning the game that way and getting hooked. Sure a computer would be faster, we'd get into the narrative of the game faster, but character building has always been part of my game and I'm glad its part of my children's game.

And from a practical aspect, there is the fact that to learn the rules to a roleplaying game I have always used character and monster building as my method of choice. I suspect those that use the DDI will know the rules less well than those that pick slowly through the books. And I believe I've read some complaining about that very thing.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, speaking for myself and several other gamers I know, a 3.5 compendium, monster builder and character builder would not have stopped us from using the 3pp we use now. Most WOTC supplements among my circle of gamers were banned or saw only very select items used.

If I were to run 4e, the same electronic items would have no impact on the use of 3pp. There are several WOTC races and classes that I would not allow and several 3pp that I would use (e.g, Blackdyrge's Critter Cache supplements for Goodman Games and elements from Expeditious Retreats's Advanced Player's Guide ). If other 3pp were to produce material (including, but not limited to race and class supplements) that fit my tastes for the games I run, I would include and use them as well.

You're the opposite of most GMs and players. Most went with official WoTC material after the 3.5 switch thanks to being burned by companies like Mongoose so often.

Filcher

First Post
I still do pencil and lined paper for my BECMI games, but 4e is DDI. Especially for conventions ("I need 7 pre-gens, asap!) the DDI is a godsend.

For our 4e game, the DDI killed any non-WotC character material. We still use Goodman for modules, but that is it.

And yes, I feel like a little bit of me has died.

carmachu

Explorer
AND.... let's not forget the huge AND here, were responsible for Dungeon and Dragon magazine and were able to, thanks in no small part of that history of careful caretaking, including some massive ups and downs, keep a large part of that talent and that audience and a large part of the audience disatisfied with 4e with them.

I'm sure Piazo would still be a great company but if they hadn't been doing Dragon and Dungeon? Quite a different story I'd suspect.

Right. But they also, during that time, had built up a standard for quality, which if they werent working on DUngeon, you might not have seen what adventures come through.

Pathfinder, the adventure path- as a flagship, was still a gamble. It didnt necessarily translate from jumping from the magazines to the AP path. You had several options, including jumping ship.

Granted, you also have to include WOTC's fumbling the ball at that point as well as Paizo caretaking the magazines. Wotc pissed ALOT of people off with the cancellation, and them saying, loosely "we have something really really cool coming" and not having it ready or even a preview of the cool thing, left that door wide open.

Paizo wasnt handed its customers, they built up alot of good will before hand. And continue to build so.

ruemere

Adventurer
You're the opposite of most GMs and players. Most went with official WoTC material after the 3.5 switch thanks to being burned by companies like Mongoose so often.

I wish you had refrained from making generalizations.

Disclaimer: I have had a look and even attempted to put to some use books you mentioned by WotC but found them wanting. Some even still collect dust on my shelves.

Regards,
Ruemere

BryonD

Hero
I don't think you are right.
The nature of 3PPs certainly changed because THEY got burned with 3.5.

But I'd say my wotc/3PP usage went from 70/30 pre-3.5 to 20/80 post 3.5.
And people I've talked to seem to be in the same ballpark.
Perhaps I'm in a very happy subset of the overall market. But that's my view.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I don't think you are right.
The nature of 3PPs certainly changed because THEY got burned with 3.5.

But I'd say my wotc/3PP usage went from 70/30 pre-3.5 to 20/80 post 3.5.
And people I've talked to seem to be in the same ballpark.
Perhaps I'm in a very happy subset of the overall market. But that's my view.

And yet most heavy supports of D&D 3.5 stopped because people stopped buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads