Whatever happened to the Dungeons & Dragons Documentary Kickstarter?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
There was a kickstarter a few years back for the Dungeons & Dragons Documentary. It was running behind, of course, but it seemed to be moving forward.

From what I am seeing now, I can't see that the project is still in the works. Now I'm worried that I'm out some money.

Anyone know what happened to this project?

As far as I’m aware, the creator is still locked in a legal battle with those of The Great Kingdom documentary. Neither of which we’ll likely ever see at this point, I fear.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
As far as I’m aware, the creator is still locked in a legal battle with those of The Great Kingdom documentary. Neither of which we’ll likely ever see at this point, I fear.

Bummer.

So is there a way to get one's money refunded? Because I'm not getting an answer from them.

If they’re not responding, probably not. I didn’t back this one, but did back The Great Kingdom. That has long just had a message “The Great Kingdom is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.”

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I've been doing some research this morning, and I guess there was a creative difference that led to some of the creators breaking off of this documentary to form The Great Kingdom. This appears to have been held up in court for years. I thought I saw mention of a court date today. We'll see.

This makes me sad and I feel soured on Kickstarter. I'm only going to back companies with a good reputation of deliverables (i.e. Green Ronin, Troll Lord Games, and Kobold Press).

Yeah, it’s a real bummer. Instead of having two D&D documentaries, we have zero from that crew.

Kobold Press is absolutely trustworthy, and I imagine Green Ronin is as well. TLG is always late, but they always get the books to you eventually.

So far, I’ve only been burned on The Great Kingdom, Ernie Gygax’s Marmoreal Tomb (and they at least have kept up a flow of constant communication and progress updates), and The Hunters Mark (which at this point is two years late, and three months past when they last said the product would ship by). I tend to only back at the lowest possible level for a physical copy, so I’m not too badly out of pocket, at the least.

Remove ads