• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's a good wage for the king's bodyguards?

Lizard Lips

First Post
My PCs are now serving as the king's personal bodyguard/troubleshooters. I figure they deserve some sort of monthly stipend. Any idea how much that should be?

I've been trying to find something in the DMG/DMGII/PHB/PHBII but there's really no consistent economic model in the game (which is fine... it IS a game about killing monsters and taking their stuff after all).

So, in addition to room and boad, what's a good amount of petty cash for them per month?

green slime

First Post
What level are the body guards, and what size is the kingdom? What kind of king is he that rules, and what kind of government is in place? How many of the bodyguards are there from personal loyalty/gratitude to the king, and how many are just tough Mercenaries?

How rich is the kingdom in comparison to other nations?

Being posted to the royal guard is a sign of utmost confidence in the person's judgment, competence, and loyalty. These individuals should be granted lands and/or titles that help ensure they are financially incorruptible and their family's livelihood secured.

The royal guard should receive an honorarium, something the King refer's to as a "token of appreciation", but that is sufficient to prove the King is not cheap.
Their honorarium covers random impulse buys, since the King's guard live at the palace, eat on the King's dime, ride the King's horses, wear the King's livery, etc.

frankthedm

First Post
The king is likely having Masterwork Full Plate made for them. That takes time.

Land, Servants, Mounts, Fine cloths Masterwork weapons that are also art objects. Rulers collect hard coin as taxes, they give out stuff.

green slime

First Post
kigmatzomat said:
Being posted to the royal guard is a sign of utmost confidence in the person's judgment, competence, and loyalty. These individuals should be granted lands and/or titles that help ensure they are financially incorruptible and their family's livelihood secured.

The royal guard should receive an honorarium, something the King refer's to as a "token of appreciation", but that is sufficient to prove the King is not cheap.
Their honorarium covers random impulse buys, since the King's guard live at the palace, eat on the King's dime, ride the King's horses, wear the King's livery, etc.

During the Roman Empire, and again in the Byzantium Empire, there were periods when the Emperor's personal bodyguards were mercenaries from outside the empire, because then it was far less likely that they had any hidden agenda against the emperor, or were going to suffer from conflicting loyalties that would have occured had the bodyguards been romans.

Jack Simth

First Post
Campaign world dependant.

In one game, my DM and I settled on (for NPC mercenaries specifically) (Level^2) * 3 sp/day, and that I was paying them a full month's worth at the outset (as well as trail rations for a month, plus a little for inconsequentials; as a mercenary band, they came with basic equipment). Mind you, the King's Eleite should definately be well paid - as was mentioned, they should be landed with a self-sufficient manor (suitable for taking care of their families, livestock, whatever as necessary, perhaps also generating a side income in a good year), equipped to the King's standards (masterwork armor/weapons), dressed in the King's Livery (call it a Coutier's/Noble's outfit - several, as you can't have them coming to work dirty - when traveling, have at least one or two dressed exactly like the King himself, to help foil assasins that aren't spotted), eating at the King's table (have to test for poison, if nothing else), and sleeping in the King's Castle (must have at least one, preffereably two or more, awake and watching the King at all times, and have even more within easy shouting distance). This should all be in addition to a wage of some kind, by whatever name.

And do note that most of the stuff the King gives out goes away if the bodyguards fail in their primary duty - bodyguards who lived and failed in their task become presumed traitors - which means, among other things, that lands are confiscated by the heir (bodyguards who perish defending their liege need not worry on that score, for the most part), any family is taken captive (potentially executed).

Stalker0

Legend
I think the main thing would not be the money, but that all the necessities are completely taken care of...in style. A luxurious room, the best meals, the most up to date equipment, etc.

Sejs

First Post
Room, board, land, title, equipment, status, and trust.

After a certain point currency transcends coinage. When the king trusts you implicitly with his life, you are well past that point. *nod*

Remove ads