Pathfinder 1E What's after Golarion? (and what's the future of Pathfinder?)

Mercurius

Legend
It just struck me: Golarion, as far as I can tell, is running out of corners to detail. Of course they can stretch beyond the borders of the Inner Sea map, but that gets into non-European analogues, which have limited appeal for most D&D players (uh, I mean, Pathfinder).

So I started wondering: Does Paizo have plans for another campaign setting? Or will they just keep Golarion as is and continue to create Adventure Paths set in it? At some point they'll have to come out with a new setting, right? Or now?

While I'm at it, what is the future of Pathfinder? Will Paizo release a 2nd edition at some point? If so, when?

And so on. Basically, what are Paizo's plans for Pathfinder and Golarion going forward?

S

Sunseeker

An apocalypse and a few hundred years of course! Magically nuke the planet from orbit and kill all of their characters off and it's a whole new world!

They've detailed maybe half the lands in the Inner Sea. Probably closer to a third. They've only done a single 64-page book on Tian Xia. And they haven't touched most of the other three-four continents in the world, plus the rest of the solar system.
And that's before they start having to go back and redo some books due to changes and the passage of time.

They can do Golarion for a while.

They've actually said they really don't want to create other worlds. That's one of the reason Golarion is such a kitchen sink world, so they can set as many stories there as possible. The CEO of Paizo was one of the people at WotC looking at why TSR failed, and so she knows the worst case scenario if you split your audience. Paizo really doesn't want to have incompatible campaign setting lines.

GreyLord

Legend
Golarion has a TON of space left. If they continue just dealing with the countries as they have with Adventure paths, they probably have at least 10 to 15 more years of material.

Even then, with many of the countries they focus on one city or town, sometimes not even the major city or town...it is probably more than easy enough to focus on several towns or cities in an Adventure path which they haven't focused on previously.

All in all, I think they don't have to worry about running out of space on Golarion for a while...BUT...let's say twenty years down the line they are still around and have run everything in Golarion to the ground...well...They still have the past, and future of Golarion they can deal with also...not to mention the other half of the world.

Celebrim

Legend
All in all, I think they don't have to worry about running out of space on Golarion for a while...BUT...let's say twenty years down the line they are still around and have run everything in Golarion to the ground...well...They still have the past, and future of Golarion they can deal with also...not to mention the other half of the world.

If they are still doing Golarion 15 years from now, there is a lot of value in revisiting the most famous and popular settings. You can have 'what happened afterwards' adventures, and you can revisit familiar locations but from a different angle with different challenges. Nostalgia value is not to be underestimated.

Shemeska

Adventurer
There's so much left to detail on Golarion proper, plus the other continents, plus other periods of history, plus the planes have barely had the surface scratched. Plenty left. :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
If they are still doing Golarion 15 years from now, there is a lot of value in revisiting the most famous and popular settings. You can have 'what happened afterwards' adventures, and you can revisit familiar locations but from a different angle with different challenges. Nostalgia value is not to be underestimated.

This leads me to the question of how Golarion is handled: is there some sort of ongoing history or is it a static world? Do the many APs leave their mark on the world?

I only know the Kingmaker AP, which establishes a new kingdom. Even if it's a backwater one, there ought to be changes to the power structure.

GreyLord

Legend
This leads me to the question of how Golarion is handled: is there some sort of ongoing history or is it a static world? Do the many APs leave their mark on the world?

I only know the Kingmaker AP, which establishes a new kingdom. Even if it's a backwater one, there ought to be changes to the power structure.

For the most part, AP's don't leave a mark that is currently seen...however there have been some exceptions. Shattered Star was actually sort of a sequel to some prior APs.

The date in Golarion is currently advancing at the SAME rate it does here...so as a year passes in the real world a year passes on Golarion.

Remove ads