• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats so special about the Far Realm?

Stoat

Adventurer
I'd add Tharizdun to the list. But I'm of the opinion that the shard of evil he cast into the Abyss actually tore a hole between Reality and the Far Realm.

Hactarcomp

First Post
I took out the star names, Allabar, and Mak Thuum Ngatha, as I recognize those, but where did you get the others from?

Bolothamogg
Draeden
Father Llymic
Great Mother
Holashner
Pandorym
Piscaethces
Ragnorra
Shothotugg
Shothragot
Thoon
Y'chak

† Species; might not be true Far Realm natives.

I took out the star names, Allabar, and Mak Thuum Ngatha, as I recognize those, but where did you get the others from?

Bolothamogg, Holashner, Piscaethces, Shothotugg, and Y'Chak were mentioned in 3E's Lords of Madness as "Elder Evils" that the aboleths recognize as deities.

The Great Mother is mentioned in 4E's Underdark as the force behind the creation of beholders (before 4E, the Great Mother was an entire layer of the Abyss).

Shothragot is an aspect of Tharizdun that has some sort of connection to the Far Realm (I honestly don't much about it, though).

Thoon is an entity that some illithids revere (its only mention in 4E, that I'm aware of, is in the Thoon Hulk entry of Monster Manual 3).

Father Llymic, Pandorym, and Ragnorra are all detailed in 3E's Elder Evils (Pandorym is the subject of a Forgotten Realms novel that I haven't read, too).

Finally the draeden were strange monsters that were mentioned to predate existence prior to 4E. As far as I know there are no references to them in 4E, and they were not stated to originate from the Far Realm, either (the Far Realm might not have been introduced into D&D yet).

Corathon

First Post
Draeden are from the old D&D Immortals set - gargantuan creatures, miles across, that roamed outer space and the Planes, and were capable of taking on a deity (or more than one).

I found a reference to another possible Far Realms deity-like entity in a Paizo-era issue of Dragon's "Ecology of the Kopru". It's called Prukal, the Dark Globe, and is referred to as one of the mothers of the kopru (the other is Shothotugg; "Kopru has two mommies!").

Until a better title for these beings is coined, I'm referring to the deity-level creatures of the Far Realm as Elder Evils (although only those entities worshiped by the aboleths have so far been officially referred to as Elder Evils).

Krensky

First Post
Whjatever is wrong with the classic 'Great Old Ones'? It's what Paizo, last I looked, used for entities from beyond time and space.

Hussar

Legend
Whjatever is wrong with the classic 'Great Old Ones'? It's what Paizo, last I looked, used for entities from beyond time and space.

While classic, it is a bit cliche. And, it makes the Far Realms a Lovecraft pastiche at best and knock-off at worst. While the Far Realms certainly takes a page from Lovecraft, you don't have to make it quite so "Lovecraftian" as to name it for the Mythos.

Krensky

First Post
One of the later Journals refers to the Dark Tapestry and the Dominion of the Black, with no real name for the entities that dwell in the spaces between the stars.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
While classic, it is a bit cliche. And, it makes the Far Realms a Lovecraft pastiche at best and knock-off at worst. While the Far Realms certainly takes a page from Lovecraft, you don't have to make it quite so "Lovecraftian" as to name it for the Mythos.

Heresy!

;)

Rechan

Adventurer
You know, one thing I want to see would be something similar to Invasion of the Body Snatcher. The way the Pod People just take over. And it's a plot of pod people by pod people (and the thing making them). But part of the horror is the assimilation aspect, and the ever-expanding conspiracy.

The same with movies where you have one monster that has spread parasites that it controls (Slither, The Faculty, etc).

Remove ads