• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats so special about the Far Realm?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Call me unorthodox, but I think a fleshy "tree" with human arms for branches hopping around on huge, hairless horse's leg is freakier sounding than a tentacle monster.
This reminds me of this freaky picture, based on perfectly normal appendages:
[sblock]
TimHawkinson_Untitled_2003.jpg

(Artist is Tim Hawkinson)
[/sblock]Also, if ayone here reads the webcomic "Goblins", recall Mr.Fingers (last panel)! I guess the moral is that perfectly ordinary appendages can be pretty creepy and weird. It's all in how you assemble them.
So, @Aloïsius, I stand corrected. ;)

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Anyone looking for some Far Realmsy sort of stuff should check out China Mieville's Unlundon. Some really weird stuff there that's loads of fun.

This reminds me of this freaky picture, based on perfectly normal appendages:
[sblock]
TimHawkinson_Untitled_2003.jpg

(Artist is Tim Hawkinson)
[/sblock]

That's what I'm talking about! Bugs and squids can be creepy; human-like beings whose bodies have been contorted into bugs and squids are creepier (just imagine a "human squid": a huge head with ten extremely long arms terminating in human hands surrounding a jawless mouth).

The Far Realm, moreso than the Abyss and Limbo/The Elemental Chaos, seems primarily biological in nature. I've got some ideas centered around that feature of the Far Realm that I'll post next time I get a chance.

Hactarcomp

First Post
Beyond tentacles, there's a phrase that stuck in my mind that I'm still trying to work out a good representation for "the many angled ones." It shows up in some Cthulhu mythos writing and I kind of think of it as beings that shift unsettlingly as they move, with bits of the flickering in and out of perception as they move either towards or away from the PCs. Or best of all, both at the same time.

Also, I don't think you should discount the unsettling appearance of multiple mouths in random places or clusters of normal (not compound) eyes. I went on google for an example and found this as a decent example. I don't think tentacles are a necessity, although they help. I have in my campaign notes for the players brushes against the far realm "the many angled ones, v. lovecraftian, but go easy on the tentacles and protoplasm." I'm still working on how to go easy on the protoplasm and tentacles, but I think random sharp angles that are there one moment and gone the next that the players can cut themselves on accidentally, perhaps branching spikes that grow and disappear instead of moving normally.

Anyway, while I fully acknowledge that tentacles are and will ever be a part of the far realm (after all, how do you have mind flayers without them), I don't think they need to be the end all, be all. Some weird crystalline structures like the spike idea above might not be uncalled for also.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Given some of the discussions we have around here, maybe if the goal is "unfathomable," we should simply invite select others to our games to play the Far Realms creatures.

DM: "Today we have Crazy Jerome from ENWorld to play the mind flayers."
Players: "Hi, CJ."
CJ: "Glibagagy adat kjinrb, on frepot."
Players: ? ?! :erm:
DM: "CJ and I don't understand each other. I figured you guys woudn't either. Next week, I'm playing an aboleth in his campaign."

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Anyone looking for some Far Realmsy sort of stuff should check out China Mieville's Unlundon. Some really weird stuff there that's loads of fun.

Better off reading about the Cacotopic Stain from the Bas-Lag stuff. Handlingers (detached living hands),

Actually by far the BEST far-realmsian thing in that series is the weaver, from perdido st station. A creature which, on any given day, may demand a tribute of scissors, blades open, lying on their side. Or left ears (forcibly). Or chess sets without their queens. It might kill you because it makes you prettier. It might let you kill it because it seems that would be prettier.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ever read Stephen Donaldson's Gap series of novels? The alien race, The Amnion, are as close to a Far Realmsian species as I've seen in sci-fi, at least in form. They capture people and alter them at a genetic level in order to communicate with humanity.

In further developing a role for the Far Realm, I feel there are two unique features of that dimension that need to be considered.

First, much of it appears to be biological in nature (whether it actually is or not is up for debate, although I prefer to think that the forest of giant hairs should actually be a forest of giant hairs).

Second, it has a clear connection to psionics, as much of its inhabitants use psionic powers. Furthermore, in 4E, one of the several possible explanations for psionic power is that it originates in the Far Realm.

To address the first point, take the phenomena of mutation into account. Mutations related to exposure to the forces of chaos are manifestations of creative forces that seek to create new entities. Mutations related to exposure to the Far Realm, however, seek to impose another set of physical laws upon the world, transforming one kind of natural creature into a being from another universe. Creatures subjected to this type of mutation usually die, as their bodies become unsuited for continued existence in the universe.

Perhaps a "star" from the Far Realm falls to the mortal world one night, bathing a town in its glow, before zooming back up into the sky come morning. The light carried with it a bizarre radiation that eventually caused horrific mutations upon the living and inflicted severe, fatal birth defects upon the unborn. However, this light did not wreak random chaos upon the morphic structure; instead, it attempted to selectively alter those who were exposed to it in an effort to transform them into the creatures of a reality that never fully came into existence. The only reason these mutations were fatal was because they are not suited for the physical laws of this reality.

These mutants may have fared slightly better in the Far Realm, but they still would not be safe. The physical laws of that dimension are localized and inconstant. At any given moment a god-like invader from another sector of the Far Realm could appear and rewrite the laws of unreality, making the local inhabitants suddenly unable to exist. Those creatures who somehow avoid death are transformed (take the kaorti for example).

To address the second point I mentioned earlier, take the difference between arcane magic and psionic "magic". Arcane magic functions by manipulating the physical laws of the universe. Psionics, on the other hand, might possibly violate reality. If the wizard is learning how reality works and takes steps to manipulate, the psion may view the world as nothing more than a dream that can be altered as if by a lucid dreamer.

The Far Realm, which is a place beyond known reality, does not have consistent physical laws that the wizard can manipulate; neither does it have gods or divine power. Instead, it has alien beings that manipulate their dimension in the same way that a lucid dreamer manipulates their dreams. The nature of reality is not determined by physical laws or the decree of deities, but by those beings whose will is powerful enough to override the will of others. The Far Realm might thus be a place where there is no distinction between the physical and the phrenic.

So far I've assumed that the Far Realm appears to be composed of biological matter, but what if the nature of the Far Realm actually depends upon the observer? Perhaps the god-like entities of the Far Realm seek to shatter the will of those who dwell in it so that no one can contest their dominion (other entities may dominate creatures, perhaps by causing them to perceive the world in ways that insure they act as required). They might do this by willing the substance of the Far Realm to take the form most terrifying to a viewer. A person terrified of parasites might see a massive worm penetrate their skin and crawl inside him, somehow leaving him visibly unaltered even as he feels the thing completely filling-up his insides. Another person terrified of spiders might see a giant eye open in the "sky" before growing spider legs and clambering towards him. These are not mere illusions; even if each person sees something different, each perception of the Far Realm is equally real, even if they contradict each other. These altered forms of perception might persist even if the characters escape: the character afraid of parasites, for example, may be able to see the parasites in the natural world around him as if they were the size of dogs.

Gibbering mouthers might be born from creatures who succumb to their greatest fears within the Far Realm. A random farmer might somehow be drawn into this dimension of madness and see nothing but that which incites the greatest terror within him for an infinite distance in all directions. Somehow, perhaps by the will of the entity inflicting this universe of terror upon him, the farmer does not die. Instead, his form and identity begin to dissolve in unreality. His body becomes formless goo, and he loses all memory of his life. The only act of will he is able to express is the formation of new mouths through which he can let loose howls of terror. Finally, and most terribly of all, the creature that was once the farmer forgets what incited this fear in the first place without the terror fading away, for all it now knows is unending, sanity-pulping fear.

Even if a person can somehow survive entering the Far Realm, they should not want to stay. If you really want to impress this horror upon your players, find out in advance what their greatest fears are and, once their PCs enter the Far Realm, describe an entire universe where their most irrational, primal fears are horrific reality. Of course, such an approach could easily backfire and make your players hate you, so you might not want to attempt this (heck, I myself can't help but think momentarily about what kinds of microscopic bacteria are swimming around in the tea I'd drinking right now). If someone DID do this without an incident, though, I imagine it would be fairly satisfying to have your players say "We are NEVER going back there again. EVER."

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That last post reminded me of my Dwarven Starlock's background: I was inspired by many sources, one of which was Pallasite. To me- and thus, to my PC- Pallasite was evidence of a failed incursion of the Far Realm into the Prime Material. An "unfertilized egg" of Far Realms material that crystallized when it manifested here.

The fertilized ones created the aberrations, either directly or via contagion.

I'm trying to compile all the different powerful beings and "deities" of the Far Realm. Here's what I've got so far; please tell me if I'm missing any:

Acamar*
Allabar
Bolothamogg
Caiphon*
Delban*
Draeden
Father Llymic
Gibbeth*
Great Mother
Hadar*
Holashner
Ihbar*
Khirad*
Mak Thuum Ngatha
Nihal*
Pandorym
Piscaethces
Ragnorra
Shothotugg
Shothragot
Thoon
Ulban*
Y'chak
Zhudun*

* Stars in the Points of Light setting that might be individual Far Realm entities.
† Species; might not be true Far Realm natives.

Remove ads