D&D 5E What's the 5e equivalent of masterwork?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
But a big nerf is fine if you are the DM and know this going in. You then decide how many times you put out monsters with resistance to BPS damage, and whether you're okay with your players only doing half damage.

Truth be told, especially as the party goes up over five players and up in levels (mainly past level five)... having a lot of the big weapon-users only do half damage actually makes creating encounters easier in a lot of ways. Because they are usually able to pump out craptons of damage otherwise and this actually allows the monsters to stick around a little more.

Sure, the DM can adjust to anything is a truism. I'm just pointing it out so a DM can make an informed choice to either do this, or know what they have to adjust from the design assumptions.

Well, and that players can also make an informed choice - IF any consider it a big deal they might modify what they plan on playing. Might have more casters - or more barbarians since the foes will have less chance to break their basic rage resistance as well.

I think Masterwork in 5e is less combat related and more of a role-play concept. The weapon is of great quality and value. Perhaps it's more durable or lighter, but it's more a matter of style than function. To be honest I think I prefer it that way.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I've used a couple "masterwork" type items in games I've run - for example, fine dwarven arms and armor. One mechanic I used was to treat penalties from corrosion and rusting attacks as one less than usual (so the first time a weapon is damaged by a gray ooze, for example, the wielder might notice the corrosion but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect), and give the item a save vs damaging attacks at advantage (e.g. shatter spell). With the bounded accuracy mechanic in 5e, I think a +1 bonus to attack rolls or AC would be overpowered. But a +1 bonus to damage wouldn't make a big difference; nor would decreasing armor weight or reducing strength requirements to avoid encumbrance.

Remove ads