What's the appeal of digest-sized products?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Well, I asked what folks liked about them, and y'all delivered. They're still not for me, but needless to say my needs and preferences are not those of everyone.

It's still a bummer when product that otherwise looks really good turns out to be a mini book, but as the French say, c'est la vie, or "whatever, dude."

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For softcover I strongly prefer digest. Just fit the hand better. Easier to read, easier to transport in a backpack or other satchel, etc.

But I'm also the guy who looks at the nice art once and appreciates it once but doesn't get a lot of long term value out of it.

Now, I also prefer having physical and PDFs - so I would be more likely to reference a PDF while planning a session, and have a physical book for learning the game and bringing as primary reference when playing. So that may ameliorate some issues with digest size that others have.

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
Seriously.

I just backed a Kickstarter for an adventure module that I thought looked great. It has an interesting plot, great artwork, and promised to be a bucket of fun.

But then I noticed that the book was digest-sized, or at least not full-size, and I pulled out. I just don't understand the appeal of these tiny supplements - they don't fit properly on the bookshelf, and especially as my eyes get older they're harder and harder to actually read and use. They cost more or less the same as a full-size (8.5x11 or A4) book, but there's just less to them.

So clue me in, folks: what do you like about these small-format books?
To me they're easier to read (and I'm 52) and easier to handle in general, as well as fit better in my backpack. They also fit on my bookshelf just fine. I started to prefer digest format when Fate Core was published, about eight years ago.

EDIT: Oh and I own at least 15 digest-sized books. Most but not all are from Evil Hat.

aco175

Legend
I thought it was for page count. If I half the size of the paper, I double the page count and suddenly my 32 page module is 64. Makes people think it is better since it is more.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I've gotta agree about most digest size books, if that's their original intended format, are easier to read than a lot of the standard sized books. Fonts are typically the same size as the 8.5x11 books, if not larger, and with less text on the page, it's easier to scan to find things.

Savage Worlds Explorer Edition as famous for its digest sized core-book (also because it was only ten bucks). Unfortunately, with Adventure Edition, they stated that format was cost prohibitive as a lower price point option. The current edition core rulebook and supplements now all come in a somewhere-in-between "graphic novel" size of about 7 x 10 1/4

Narmer

Villager
White Box: FMAG is one of my favorite games and it is digest size. And it is just right size and font-wise for me. I think that if it was letter size it would be too thin and floppy in paperback for my taste.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
2 of the best RPG books I own are digest sized. Both are OSRs of older versions of D&D (Original and 1st ed). Easy to pick up and go. Carry if Im away and want to play some RPG.

Be excellent when I live on the streets when I can no longer work and social security doesnt cut it (or is gone), then I can play D&D with my fellow homeless people under and overpass in the evenings after we panhandle all day for cash and food.

Remove ads