• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the current state of D&D and the community?

Deimodius

First Post
I've been out of the loop for just about a year now, so busy that I couldn't play, and didn't have time to keep up with the web sites, blogs, and the community in general. It seems in that time that there has been a lot of growth and change, especially with the introduction of 4th edition?

The thought of starting over by slogging through so much information is a bit overwhelming, so I'm appealing to this awesome community (flattery) to bring me up to speed.

So, what _is_ the current state of the hobby? I never bought 4th, and probably won't. I'm planning to get back in to 3.5, but I'm also intrigued by Pathfinder (I have the Beta download). I'm also looking at Microlite20.

What has become of the industry, is it still split because of 4th edition? Who are the big players now (other than WotC), and which are _the_ blogs and web sites I should be checking out (other than EN World of course)?

Thanks in advance!

I've been out of the loop for just about a year now, so busy that I couldn't play, and didn't have time to keep up with the web sites, blogs, and the community in general. It seems in that time that there has been a lot of growth and change, especially with the introduction of 4th edition?

The thought of starting over by slogging through so much information is a bit overwhelming, so I'm appealing to this awesome community (flattery) to bring me up to speed.

So, what _is_ the current state of the hobby? I never bought 4th, and probably won't. I'm planning to get back in to 3.5, but I'm also intrigued by Pathfinder (I have the Beta download). I'm also looking at Microlite20.

What has become of the industry, is it still split because of 4th edition? Who are the big players now (other than WotC), and which are _the_ blogs and web sites I should be checking out (other than EN World of course)?

Thanks in advance!

Umbran has addressed this right down the page, but just so everyone's clear -- this is an excellent example of the sort of post NOT to make. It's rude, inflammatory, and designed to pick a fight. Please read it as an object lesson, and then avoid sounding anything like this in the future.

Thanks. ~ PCat

These days, there's a lot fewer inflammatory lies being spread by 4E-haters, who now have Pathfinder to chew on. Here at ENWorld, at least, Pathfinder/3.5E fans seem to have made peace with us 4E folk.

Who's big these days, other that WotC? Nobody, really, although Paizo is probably the very distant second place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugleyman

First Post
Splitsville

A good part of those who didn't prefer 4E seem to have gathered under the Pathfinder banner over at Paizo.com. Which isn't at all surprising, as they make wonderful stuff.

4E seems to be humming along pretty well. Not spectacularly, not terrible, just business as usual.

As for the community as a whole? I think it remains (and will remain) fractured. WotC's refusal to continue the OGL in the 4E era has pretty much ensured that.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
These days, there's a lot fewer inflammatory lies being spread by 4E-haters, who now have Pathfinder to chew on. Here at ENWorld, at least, Pathfinder/3.5E fans seem to have made peace with us 4E folk.

Who's big these days, other that WotC? Nobody, really, although Paizo is probably the very distant second place.

:|

Aside from certain posts (*cough cough*), it depends on where you go. The edition wars have, for the most part, died down here at EN World, with only the occasional straggler trying to rekindle them.
Other forums aren't so lucky. I dunno how deep the split is, though, because lol internet, can't take it too seriously or as a barometer of real life.

Deimodius

First Post
Hmm... I guess I'm really wondering if there is a list of resources for those who are staying with 3.5 vs 4th. I see that there are a lot of new blogs, but I don't want to have to go through blog by blog, site by site, to see who's stayed 3.5 and who's now 4th.

Which are the sites/blogs that continue the tradition of 3.5? Is there a list?

Is it still possible to break into the 3.5 as a writer, or is that market pretty much swamped with material from the last few years?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
snip

Is it still possible to break into the 3.5 as a writer, or is that market pretty much swamped with material from the last few years?
My guess, if you are going to write write for Pathfinder (if you want to stick with something in the 3.5 style) My guess is that people that are sticking with 3.5 have more than enough stuff already.

Crothian

First Post
to see who's stayed 3.5 and who's now 4th.

Which are the sites/blogs that continue the tradition of 3.5? Is there a list?

Are you looking for companies or sites?

For third edition Pathfinder is the biggest but not the only option. For more changes and a different assumption on the game Fantasy Craft based on Spycraft has been really good. There is also Trailblazer that has some great optional rules and way to do things for 3ed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
These days, there's a lot fewer inflammatory lies being spread by 4E-haters...

Yeah, but apparently the 4-hater-haters are in fine fettle.

You know, you could have worded this seven different ways that weren't inflammatory, but you chose this sort of stuff that was sure to cheese people off. Bad form.

Don't start, people. Let it go. This is probably your only warning.

Deimodius

First Post
@Crothian: No, I'm looking to stay with the D&D system (3.5 or Pathfinder) I'm just looking for the best 3.5 online resources, as I assume (am I wrong) that some (or most) of the originally bets sites have switched to supporting 4th ed?

I'm looking for a list of the best, current web sites (businesses, fan sites, resources, blogs) that support 3.5.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
@Crothian: No, I'm looking to stay with the D&D system (3.5 or Pathfinder) I'm just looking for the best 3.5 online resources, as I assume (am I wrong) that some (or most) of the originally bets sites have switched to supporting 4th ed?

I'm looking for a list of the best, current web sites (businesses, fan sites, resources, blogs) that support 3.5.

Like psionics? Dreamscarred has a bunch of great 3.5 stuff and their own wiki/srd being made :D

Remove ads