• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the most critical piece of dungeoneering equipment?

What's the most critical piece of mundane dungeoneering equipment?

• 10' pole

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Mule

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Other (discuss)

Votes: 60 58.3%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
"Other" - There are many.

Thieves' picks and tools are critical if you're a class that uses such.
A light source is critical if you're going underground without dark-vision.
Climate-suited clothing is critical rather frequently.
50' rope is critical a surprising amount of the time.
Rations are critical regardless.
Canvas sacks are critical for storing treasure and corpses.
Etc.

If I absolutely had to vote for just one (other than the obvious e.g. rations) I'd probably go for the 50' rope.

Lan-"who's carrying the body bag?"-efan

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Ten foot pole!

Remember, kids: the 39-and-a-half foot pole is not for beginners! B-)

tarionzcousin-albums-pictures-lily-picture978-ten-foot-pole-2.jpg

Stormonu

Legend
A backpack (or sack). Without it, your ability to carry treasure, extra gear, and whatnot on your person is greatly limited. Can double as a ten foot pole to be thrown to trigger pressure plates, tripwires and the like.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Light source.

I have now seen two "paragon" level parties go on an extended, multi-session dungeon-crawl without thinking about bringing a light source. They bought magical potions... spare ammo... scrolls... everything except a humble torch.

How ludicrous did it get? Well...

About five years ago, the first party (3.5e, 17th level) teleported into a hostile dungeon. Once inside, they realized it was pitch black. Nobody had any way of creating light... except the wizard. Who eventually had to use the only spell he had available to create light: limited wish. That's right... he burned 300 XP for want of a length of flaming timber. The PCs were rightly appalled at their oversight, and it has become a legend at our table ever since.

About two months ago, they did it again (4e, 14th level). Only two of the four players were from the "same group", but they all knew the story. They descended a long shaft into the Underdark, and then realized nobody had bought any sunrods. They ended up losing a healing surge each as they spent hours crawling through tunnels looking for some vegetable matter (giant mushroom stalks) that they could light up using an at-will Fire power.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
A player with a brain!
After reading Lancelot's post above yours, I am inclined to agree with you.

:hmm:

Nah. I'll stick with the Ten Foot Pole. :p

I recall a Dragon Magazine article in the 1E days that featured a sectional ten foot pole. It was three sections that screwed together. My characters always carried one of those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads