• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the most fun you've had in a chase in a ttrpg?

aramis erak

Legend
In all my years of GMing (since '79), I have never once done a chase scene. Strange, now that I think on it.
I would think that you probably get enough of them at work...

But I also think you may have a very narrow definition.

I consider it a chase when any of these are true:
  • both parties are aware of each other and one is moving to evade and the other is moving to engage
  • after engagement, party a attempts to flee and party b decides not to let them get away, taking more than a single round of movement
  • the goal of the scene is to cover x ground previously covered by being(s) y before deadline z
    • Hunting is often a chase unless totally abstracted
    • following a trail is often a chase.
  • the map can be reduced to a single line with both parties moving the same direction along it.
Not all of those would invoke specific chase mechanics... indeed, of the hundreds of games I've run, only the most recent decade's seem to have specific chase mechanics

Last edited:

I would think that you probably get enough of them at work...

But I also think you may have a very narrow definition.

I consider it a chase when any of these are true:
  • both parties are aware of each other and one is moving to evade and the other is moving to engage
  • after engagement, party a attempts to flee and party b decides not to let them get away, taking more than a single round of movement
  • the goal of the scene is to cover x ground previously covered by being(s) y before deadline z
    • Hunting is often a chase unless totally abstracted
    • following a trail is often a chase.
  • the map can be reduced to a single line with both parties moving the same direction along it.
Not all of those would invoke specific chase mechanics... indeed, of the hundreds of games I've run, only the most recent decade's seem to have specific chase mechanics
Too true.

I might have had something that meets your better-defined options. But I'm not sure. Definitely not in the last 20 years.

Voadam

Legend
Hunting is often a chase unless totally abstracted
I used to do a lot of hunting (birds) but I would not describe what I did as a chase. Most bow or gun hunting would not involve a chase.

A wolf hunting a deer involves a chase.

People with spears going after big game might involve a chase.

Remove ads