D&D General What's the most problematic D&D player you've ever played with?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
There are lots of stories in recent threads about domineering and unreasonable DMs, and about rules that aren't needed because no player would ever be that extreme. And there's apparently an old poll that shows the majority of DMs are bad.

I feel left out, because I've been lucky enough to never run into a really bad DM or legendarily bad player (well, one, but they were 10 and got better in a few sessions). I've read about some of the bad DMs on here (eek!)... but haven't seen the bad player stories. So, any stories out there of players who have their paladin turn into a homicidal maniac on a dime? Anyone wanting to be a class or concept not banned in session 0 that turned into a nightmare later and wouldn't be reined in? Anyone you've had to bring consequences on because you thought their play required it even if it led to the player not having fun? (Town guard on the un-clever thief?) Or are all the players angels (until some become DM and let their badness show).

We marooned one players character on an island because the player was annoying us.

To this day I don't remember what they did. But I do remember we weren't sad when the player quit instead of making a new character.

And to put it in context ... EVERYONE in that group, myself included, was sort of annoying at that stage in our lives. So they had to be really, REALY annoying.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Racists, Sexists, Homophobes...

As a young teenager I played D&D at a FLGS/Comic Shop called "The Bookmark". One of the players was openly gay and took SO MUCH FLACK about it. Similarly, Black and Mulatto players got smacked with insults and assumptions and stuff. And dudes would almost always interrupt and talk over female players, even on -their- turn in combat.

This was Georgia in the 90s... so not only was it expected, speaking out against it could get you ridiculed and kicked out of a game. Happened to me a few times.

Also had similar issues trying to get together games outside of the Bookmark. And as the DM I would call out older players and even threaten to remove them from my table if they continued. Often times the victim would pipe up and tell me it was fine because, y'know. The 90s in Georgia.

Eventually I started going to some other FLGS and ran into similar problems there. Finally I started just doing curated home games, mostly with minority players or all-white groups... Anything in between meant white dudes ragging on everyone else.

My parents wouldn't let me go to the gay guy's house to game, even though he was in a loving relationship and considered his partner of 8 years to be his husband. 'Cause even my family wasn't immune to bigotry, much as I wanted to be.

Growing up a bit more I dealt with a lot of Extreme Subjective Morality where a player chafed at the -idea- that there were alignments and would go to ridiculous ends to explain why it was perfectly Lawfully Good from their character's perspective to try and burn down the orphanage. Or attack other party members.

And, of course, the Minmaxers and "We should skin every animal we kill and take any potentially valuable meat/horns/whatever to sell!" encumbrance monkeys.

EDIT: I should not have used an outdated and heavily connotationed word for mixed heritage. However it would also be inappropriate to completely remove evidence of my mistake. Instead I will provide this correction to the post, along with a sincere apology.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
One player in the army kept getting drunk. Like, really drunk. First time he puked mid game and tried to puke back INTO the bottle? Last time I played with him.

Outside of that, there have been a several players with really bad BO and hygiene, usually at cons or at FLGS.

Catulle

Hero
The guy that really wanted to rape the corpse of a fallen enemy. We had a brief discussion ("you can can that naughty word and we'll never speak of it again, or the door's there, your choice") and he opted to get right back in line. It would have been less weird if it wasn't during one of the most feminist games I've played (Tribe 8). Just bewildering...

Vaalingrade

Legend
The Tale of Mittens the Paladin

So it was an online campaign full of random people who didn't know each other. We played three sessions and were starting to gel when the future Mittens joined. Knowing full well that this was a party of Robin Hood style two rogues, sorcerer and a druid, he insists on rolling a Paladin.

That would be fine except this was 3e where Paladins had both a code to make sure they could be interpreted as being unable to work with normal adventurers and also had detect evil at will. None of the party was evil, but we regularly worked with scumbags in order to screw them over ala Leverage.

First ten minutes of the game, we meet our latest mark, Pally detects evil, and then in a room full of goons openly attacked the guy. This guy, who we knew had the local guards in his pocket and were slow-rolling to separate him from his powerbase. We got our butts kicked concave and then were run out of the city. The Pally spends the entire time as we flee for our lives lecturing us about associating with him despite knowing we were trying to take him down.

This continues for three sessions. Party reaches a town, tries to do basically anything, Pally detects evil, attacks on sight (which I started calling 'detect -thump'), party has to flee. By the end of this cycle, we were starving hermits in the woods because we never got a chance to buy food and the Paladin insisted on on going with us whenever we went into town to 'make sure we didn't associate with the wrong people'.

Out of character, we try to explain the kind of game it had been before he joined. He says he knows and that his character is there to 'set our characters straight' and that he will not be changing.

The DM finally took mercy on us and decided the next town we came to literally had no one evil in it so we could do some business and pick up some plot hooks in peace. Said plothooks were disappointing to the original crew though as they weren't 'loveable rogue' type quests, for which we'd been built, but Shining Violence Heroes quests to shut the Paladin up.

Enough was enough.

So after nearly dying on the first quest, the original crew pooled their money and I sent a private message to the DM, starting with 'So... have you ever seen Inu Yasha? We want a magic item designed...'

And thus, we fabricated a mission to the Frozen North area of the map. We all bought cold weather gear, including one very special mittens: the Mittens of Subjugation.

We trek up north, only to find that the town was NOT being eaten by Yetis, but instead being run by a mine owner and general scumbag who we wanted to bilk. We finagle a meeting with him.

Paladin ignores the man's pair of awakened polar bear guards and detects evil.

"Easy the big fella," I say.

The command word activates. The mittens lock together, preventing the drawing or use of weapons until I release them. They cannot be removed except by remove curse.

Out of Character, I explain what this is and why. How we didn't like being beholden to him. How we'd begged him not to turn every social encounter with the villains into a combat. How we were okay with him fighting when fighting was a good idea, but not against insurmountable odds inside the place of power of every crime lord on the planet. How we didn't want to be morally babysitted.

He went BALLISTIC. Telling us how not only weren't we playing D&D right, but how we were 'perverting' the game by not fighting evil at every turn. And how he was going to make sure his characters killed all of ours to make sure we couldn't go any further playing the way we wanted. The DM tried to step in, but it was at this moment we learned the Paladin player was his brother-in-law, who proceeded to browbeat him into backing off.

It was at this point, the sorcerer player, who never really argued anything spoke up. She's like 'this is definitely the last session of this campaign, everyone but Paladin is invited to a game she's running, oh and by the way... HEAT METAL.'

As his Paladin roasts in his plate, the player bellows in rage, claiming that we can't kill his character--starts to beg us not to do this because if we do--get this--he'll never be able to play a Paladin again. Because that's his understanding of the rules apparently. We agree that's a good thing as he demands the DM let him pray for his god to save him. DM asks him if he has any spells that let him do that.

Paladin casts augury.

DM, holding back sick joy, announces the answer comes back as Woe.

We played the sorcerer's game for about a year and it becomes a thing for us to refer to that incident as Mitten the Paladin -- and remarking on how he would have lived if he'd thought to cast lay on hands instead.

Yaarel

He Mage
I have been very fortunate to have only experienced awesome players, who either are my friends or became my friends.

Also, because I have always rotated the DMing, everyone understands what the DM has to deal with. More empathy.

Oofta

Legend
Long ago I had a guy who decided his PC was chaotic insane. As in they intercept a burglary in the process and he decides to help them escape out a window. They had been hired to find the burglars.

Then he was surprised when the burglars attacked him as he ran towards them with arms outstretched. Oh, he also had one of those huge D20s. To "roll", he would pick it up, change it so a specific number on top and then drop it from a couple inches off the table.

Did I mention that he literally thought he was a werewolf? Oh, and his wife agreed?

Remove ads