D&D General What's The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons?

A full-on rules-free lore book coming in August

It wasn't in any previous announcements about 2023-2024's D&D release schedule, but now The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons has appeared on the slate!

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.30.05 PM.png

It's a 128-page hardcover, coming out on August 15th for $39.95, and it details dragon anatomy, society, language, hoards, magic, lairs, and more. This is a full-on 'lore' book, with no game rules in it.

The Practical Guide to Dragons came out in 2006, and was followed by A Practical Guide to Dragon Riding and A Practical Guide to Dragon Magic. This book is a compilation of the best parts of those three books. The originals were illustrated guides designed for younger readers, and featured a wizard called Sindri Suncatcher, the fictional 'author' of the works.

I am honestly worried by this, particularly given the Deck of Many Things is bundling a deck of cards. This is some TSR-esque shenanigans. Something nobody asked for, that has no game purpose, and yet is a 128 page hardback is preeeeeeetty weird.
It's a reason to buy a physical product.

Hasbro is a toy company, this is a toy. And it's coming out in time for Christmas.

And with the cost of paper and printing rising rapidly, they need to find a way to "add value" to products that does not include more - now very expensive to manufacture - pages.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I am honestly worried by this, particularly given the Deck of Many Things is bundling a deck of cards. This is some TSR-esque shenanigans. Something nobody asked for, that has no game purpose, and yet is a 128 page hardback is preeeeeeetty weird.
You're worried that they're producing a high gloss product for kids?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Maybe I am getting old (aren't we all?), but these days I am actually more interested in material like this, no-mechanics, just fluff. I know this is meant for younger players, but I loved the no-rules books that came out at the end of 4e. They are among my favorite D&D book ever.
Definitely hunt down the Practical Guide to Wizardry, then.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Maybe I am getting old (aren't we all?), but these days I am actually more interested in material like this, no-mechanics, just fluff. I know this is meant for younger players, but I loved the no-rules books that came out at the end of 4e. They are among my favorite D&D book ever.
I don't know how old you are, but Im Gen X and likewise I like good lore books

Remove ads

Remove ads