D&D General What's The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons?

It wasn't in any previous announcements about 2023-2024's D&D release schedule, but now The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons has appeared on the slate!

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 10.30.05 PM.png

It's a 128-page hardcover, coming out on August 15th for $39.95, and it details dragon anatomy, society, language, hoards, magic, lairs, and more. This is a full-on 'lore' book, with no game rules in it.

The Practical Guide to Dragons came out in 2006, and was followed by A Practical Guide to Dragon Riding and A Practical Guide to Dragon Magic. This book is a compilation of the best parts of those three books. The originals were illustrated guides designed for younger readers, and featured a wizard called Sindri Suncatcher, the fictional 'author' of the works.

If it's basically the 3.5e Draconomicon without all the 3.5e crunch, that could actually be quite useful as a game reference book.
Yeah but based on the info above, it’s not based on the 3.5E Draconomicon, it’s just based on some previously published kids’ books. 128 page hardcover, and I bet it will be digest sized. While it will surely be a fun read, if you’re posting on these forums I’m pretty sure you won’t get much use out of these.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah but based on the info above, it’s not based on the 3.5E Draconomicon, it’s just based on some previously published kids’ books. 128 page hardcover, and I bet it will be digest sized. While it will surely be a fun read, if you’re posting on these forums I’m pretty sure you won’t get much use out of these.
But what if those books were also based on the 3.5e Draconomicon? I've never read them, so I wouldn't know. Dragons had different lore (and there were different combos of dragons) in the 4e era. I would think a 5e era book, regardless of its audience, would stick to 5e lore (which is closer to 3.5e lore than 4e lore).

This is, of course, all speculation. I do like the cover. That's about all I can say for now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But what if those books were also based on the 3.5e Draconomicon? I've never read them, so I wouldn't know. Dragons had different lore (and there were different combos of dragons) in the 4e era. I would think a 5e era book, regardless of its audience, would stick to 5e lore (which is closer to 3.5e lore than 4e lore).

This is, of course, all speculation. I do like the cover. That's about all I can say for now.
I guess these were also set in Drsgonlance, which has other lore altogether? So, weird.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's a complete recycling of 3 4E era kids books, so I suppose anyone who read them could say?
I had them all. It was not a reprinting of any of the 3E dragon lore (as I recall, these books predated the 4E dragon books), beyond the fact that the same things were true and not, lore-wise.

In many cases, these books made up new, largely harmless lore, like establishing Feywild geography or elements of vampire society or breaking down verbal components for wizard magic.

These are books squarely aimed at elementary age students, and skewed a least a year younger than the current Young Adventurers Guides.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases