• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

GreyLord

Legend
Say what you will about Rise of Skywalker, and I will, it was an absolute mess of a movie that walked back the everything the previous film set up in order to appease toxic bad faith critics who weren't going to be pleased anyway, but say what you will about Rise of Skywalker, but damn the whole astral projection lightsaber duel early on was heckin' cool.

Real shame about, well, everything else really

ONE OF THE BIGGEST crimes of TLJ...

So...Johnson is against interracial romance (or at least that between whites and anyone who isn't white at least). Any hints of it from TFA has to be erased...in a way that completely tries to pretend nothing could have ever been there. Only minorities can romance each other? Why is it that Finn and Rey can't be together. Because they aren't both white?

What does that say about romance that is even MORE non-traditional then. This is not a good commentary that I appreciate seeing in my Star Wars.

Why not keep up on HOW important Finn was in the storyline. Why make it so he doesn't matter as much? He had so much of being a central character in TFA...and then TLJ just...don't get me started.

Then, rather than trying to appease this in some way, RoS sort of doubles down on this view. They at least HINT that Finn may have the force and at least go in that direction, but they are too afraid to actually confirm anything in that light. In addition, they once again have to give Finn yet ANOTHER individual they can hint at being an interest, rather than repair what TLJ did. It apparently is better for a creeper to be one that Rey kisses at the end because...the directors are so afraid of things that are non-conservative in that arena that...yea...it makes me REALLY mad TBH. Sure, Abrams puts in a half second hand wave to something different at the very end, but other than that...it's business like TLJ was towards POCs and anything that isn't seen strictly through the traditional lens.

There are other racist things that was put into TLJ that many will try to write off as nonsense, but I find most of those who do so are white rather than POC's. Then there's the fact that Disney didn't support Boyega or defend him (or Trans for that matter, if what Boyega says is true) in the way they should have. They didn't uphold him. They way they treated him...yeah...

They decreased his presence, they decreased his screen time, they decreased just about everything about his character in relation to what it should have been.

There are reasons I can list for disliking The sequel trilogy, but if I really boil it down, it comes down to my perceptions of how they treated minorities working in those movies. It may just be my perception.

I'll just leave his (Boyega's) comments here... (edited for language though...sorry, I don't think the forum would let the language portion of it stand).

“What I would say to Disney is do not bring out a Black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side,” Boyega said. “It’s not good. I’ll say it straight up.”

-----------------------------------

“Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” he said. “You knew what to do with these other people, but when it came to Kelly Marie Tran, when it came to John Boyega, you just made us token characters*. So what do you want me to say? What they want you to say is, ‘I enjoyed being a part of it. It was a great experience...’ Nah, nah, nah. I’ll take that deal when it’s a great experience. They gave all the nuance to Adam Driver, all the nuance to Daisy Ridley. Let’s be honest. Daisy knows this. Adam knows this. Everybody knows. I’m not exposing anything.”

-----------------------------------------

“I’m the only cast member who had their own unique experience of that franchise based on their race,” he said. “Let’s just leave it like that. It makes you angry with a process like that. It makes you much more militant; it changes you. Because you realize, ‘I got given this opportunity but I’m in an industry that wasn’t even ready for me.’ Nobody else in the cast had people saying they were going to boycott the movie because [they were in it]. Nobody else had the uproar and death threats sent to their Instagram DMs and social media, saying, ‘Black this and Black that and you shouldn’t be a Stormtrooper.’ Nobody else had that experience. But yet people are surprised that I’m this way. That’s my frustration.”

* and in italics Changed the words to something else

Stalker0

Legend
A kamikaze pilot killed 3000 people in a terror attack 22 years ago. And that's why we've been dealing with constant kamikaze terror attacks ever since.

oh wait no
For a simple reason, it doesn’t work. Historians have studied the effectiveness of kamikazes in the war, and what they found was…it was a bad tactic. The planes would have been more effective if they had fought traditionally.

It’s different in Star Wars where the size different is astronomical (both in size and crew), and the larger ships have shields strong enough that the smaller ship literally can’t penetrate them. Further, there is no defense. A kamikaze you can shoot down, a holdo ship moves so quickly conventional weapons can’t touch it

MarkB

Legend
For a simple reason, it doesn’t work. Historians have studied the effectiveness of kamikazes in the war, and what they found was…it was a bad tactic. The planes would have been more effective if they had fought traditionally.

It’s different in Star Wars where the size different is astronomical (both in size and crew), and the larger ships have shields strong enough that the smaller ship literally can’t penetrate them. Further, there is no defense. A kamikaze you can shoot down, a holdo ship moves so quickly conventional weapons can’t touch it
Larger ships' shields aren't impenetrable, and smaller craft can bypass them in any case. It happens in TLJ - Kylo's fighter group takes out both the hangar bay and the bridge of the Raddus before they have to withdraw due to lack of close support.

In Rogue One a small group of Y-Wings and a Hammerhead corvette take out two star destroyers and a planetary shield.

There are plenty of ways that much smaller ships can take out bigger ones in Star Wars. The Holdo maneuver is, if anything, one of the more expensive ways of doing so.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, I'd really like to lambaste the 46 people that voted The Last Jedi as the worst Star Wars film. I don't want to get into yet another toxic debate, but it certainly wasn't the worst- if nothing else, it had some of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful moments in any Star Wars film.

Instead, I'm just going to say that four people voted Rogue One the worst film, and two people voted .... A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back as the worst.

Stalker0

Legend
The Holdo maneuver is, if anything, one of the more expensive ways of doing so.
It allowed one ship that was doomed to die and instead allowed it to take out a super star destroyer. When your a rebellion with small ships versus massive ones, that is a pretty damn strong advantage.

Stalker0

Legend
if nothing else, it had some of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful moments in any Star Wars film.
Which is one of the sins of modern film making.... flash over substance. If it looks pretty, do it....narrative be damn.

I'll use Game of Thrones as another great example. In the final battle against the Night King, the Dothraki riders with flaming swords ride off into the night. Its a GORGEOUS scene, absolutely stunning. Except....the tactic is so jaw droppingly stupid that it takes you right out of the episode (and its simply the first of many sins in that episode).

Again my biggest beef with a lot of this is....you CAN have your cake and eat it too. Its not hard to tweak the narrative slightly to allow for that cool scene AND allow the narrative to work. It just takes a little elbow grease. The problem is modern film makers just stopped caring about the narrative, if its pretty go for it, no matter how dumb.

I will also admit that I factor in how much I think a given movie "hurt" the franchise. For example, one of the reasons I hit the TPM so badly is that Star Wars fever was rampant when it came out, and it was such a disappointment in a lot of ways that it really wrecked a lot of that enthusiasm.

Its the reason that TLJ is "extra bad" to me. TFA has its flaws for certain, but overall it was a decent movie, I was pretty happy with this "new star wars" when it came out. And then TLJ just ruined it for me. I think TROS is probably overall worse, but my expectations were already low at that point, so they didn't have far to fall.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
So, I'd really like to lambaste the 46 people that voted The Last Jedi as the worst Star Wars film. I don't want to get into yet another toxic debate, but it certainly wasn't the worst- if nothing else, it had some of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful moments in any Star Wars film.
When I lived in Texas we would have said it was all sizzle and no steak. I really liked some of the visuals from the new trilogy as well, Rey's instant bread from the first movie being my favorite, but spectacle isn't a replacement for a good story.

Haplo781

Legend

Uh rewatch the scene. The bad guys had every chance to shoot down Holdo and they just didn't until it was too late.

Hux's reaction once he realizes what Holdo is planning suggests that this isn't some novel tactic or one in a million fluke but a known quantity. So the question becomes "why haven't people been doing this constantly all along?" to which the answer is likely "because it doesn't work most of the time."

Last edited:

So for years, Attack of the Clones.
Since then I have mellowed. Watching people get super upset about the Disney helmed sequel films made me look back at the visceral anger I had about the prequels overall in my 20s and see how pointless such a reaction is.
However,
If Im being objective, Rise of Skywalker is the worst one.
But,
Solo was so forgettable for me and in the end, isn't that even worse?

Ryujin

Legend
It allowed one ship that was doomed to die and instead allowed it to take out a super star destroyer. When your a rebellion with small ships versus massive ones, that is a pretty damn strong advantage.
Just imagine when they realize that a X- or Y-Wing could do it too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads