What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You can vote for up to 3 movies (but you don't have to), as it's hard to choose! Live action only. Which movies did you really not like?

pukunui

Legend
I voted AotC. Plodding action with terrible scripting and the relationship between Padme and Anakin is just awful. The Yoda/Dooku lightsaber fight is probably the only part worth watching.

If you included the animated SW too, I expect you’d get a lot of votes for the Clone Wars “movie”, which I personally think is unfair as it’s not really a movie. It’s literally just a three-episode story arc that they stitched together into one long episode in order to get the series going with a bang. When you view it in that context, I think it works fine.

To me with a triple vote the answers are overwhelmingly 1, 2, and 9. Nothing else even comes close, in my book. But I would struggle to pick which one of those three sucks the most. I think 9 is a far bigger, more incoherent mess than it's prequel competitors in suckage. They chased a MacGuffin to find a MacGuffin, and one of these MacGuffins worked on a principle of standing in the one particular place she happened to stand, something even someone whose entire education was Lucasfilm movies would instantly recognize the problem with, because it's the reason the Nazi copy of the Staff of Ra didn't work in Raiders. But I still find the movie more fun to actually watch than the the prequels.

On the prequel side, I have a lot more nostalgia for the, if nothing else, memorable episode 1 than the forgettable episode 2, but episode 1 had both lots of Jar Jar screentime and the introduction of midichlorians. Midichlorians ruined the magic of my space wizards, and upon reflection, whereas at the time I gave their introduction some benefit of the doubt as something that might pay some sort of dramatic dividends, I'm now pretty sure their only meaningful plot function in the whole saga was letting Qui-Gon scan Anakin for jediness on his jedi tricorder. Episode 2 seems to just be filler; I struggle to remember it.

I'm going to assume whoever chose Empire Strikes Back is just overcompensating for what they view as excessive praise. That's the same sort of relationship that tempted me to include Rogue One (the Star Wars movie I find fine but nothing special, yet everyone else seems to want to insist it is the gold standard for Disney-era Star Wars). But this isn't a "most overrated Star Wars movie" poll, it is a "worst Star Wars movie" poll, and while there are sustainable arguments for Empire not being number 1, there is no way it is close to being at the bottom.

Irlo

Hero
Tough decision.

I chose Return of the Jedi as the worst, because I was in my prime Star Wars phase and it was an enormous disappointment. Death Star 2. Superficial redemption arc for Vader. Ugh.

I followed with Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Crappy backstories that didn’t need movies to tell. (I’m a fan of leaving some things in the background. Not everything needs explicit exposition.) These two sucked the joy out of the franchise for me.

Caveat: I didn’t see Revenge of the Sith or Rise of Skywalker.

The first two sequels were fun, I think, but I have no urge to rewatch them and no strong memory of them.

Solo was boring.

Vael

Legend
My votes:
1. Attack of the Clones - While it might've been reclaimed memetically, it's just not a good movie. I find it dull and lifeless. The other two prequel movies have a mountain of issues, but I feel like there's at least some redeeming value to them. I struggle to find any in AOTC.

2. The Rise of Skywalker - Spend half the movie undoing what was one of the bolder and best parts of the Disney era of Star Wars, and you've lost me. Add that the movie has no stakes and no emotional heart and I just don't care. It's character assassination and retraction and I have nothing but contempt for this movie.

3. Solo - I'll fully admit, TPM should probably have this spot, as Solo is more competently made and better acted. And I hate that it's failure was put on the recasting of Han Solo, leading to the era of digital uncanny valley faces, when Alden Ehrenreich is actually a darn good Han Solo. But this movie has so many problems. First, the plot is pure "fill in the wikipedia of Han Solo", all reference, nothing really interesting going on. I came close to audibly say "Oh, eff off" when the "Alone? We shall call you Han SOLO" moment happened and then the movie never got me back. And Solo also ... the sentience of Droids is a thorny issue and I was perfectly happy to DWAI (Don't Worry About It) until Solo decides to have a droid abolitionist and then play her story for laughs and then imprison her within the Falcon's computer just for a weird line in ESB? Again, Eff OFF.

I voted for The Rise of Skywalker, because it isn't a movie, it's an apology and retraction in narrative form. And since I liked most of the things they were apologising for and the plot points they were retracting, to me it's not only a mess but a worthless mess.

It's what happens when internet trolls win.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases