• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What's this I hear about a new Pathfinder setting?

Mercurius

Legend
I can't remember where I heard this, but is Paizo coming out with an expansion to the world of Golarion, Pathfinder's version of Kara-Tur? This would dovetail with the name change of the revised campaign setting book with the sub-title of "The Inner Sea." Is there another hardcover setting book coming out later in 2011?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My understanding is that, once the current Adventure Path wraps up, and the one subsequent to that concludes, the following AP (debuting in August 2011) will take place in the oriental land(s) of Golarion.

I'm not sure if there'll be a new setting book coming out then, though it seems likely. But I doubt it'll be a hardcover, those seem reserved for major rules supplements, like the forthcoming Ultimate Magic.

coyote6

Adventurer
The continent/land/region is called Tian Xia. Rumor has it that the setting book might be Paizo's Gen Con 2011 release, but they haven't announced that far out (AFAIK).

The AP path will be called Jade Regent, and Jacobs has said it will start in Varisia. I'd guess that it will involve a certain immigrant family from Sandpoint, and maybe a trip to their ancestral homeland. Which could be an awesome adventure path!

I don't think they've officially announced any of this, so it could all be subject to change.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yes, its Tian Xia, and its a part of Golarian. Both Ultimate books being published this year are supposed to have elements of that setting in those books as well. So the publication will be spread over all of 2011.

Sorry, I keep bringing up Kaidan, but of course it too is an oriental setting for Pathfinder. Since Rite Publishing is also aware of this schedule, the current development of Kaidan is geared to be released before any of Paizo's oriental aspects do so. We want to have the first PF oriental setting and ruleset among the various publishers for PF, including Paizo itself.

While the classes are being built for Kaidan (mostly archetypes of standard PF classes), any new classes that come from the Ultimate books, the Tian Xia setting book and whatever else is released by Paizo, should be completely usable in Kaidan itself. Barring specific setting rules that might require Paizo material tweaks to better fit the Kaidan setting.

I am working hard to make Kaidan feel like the far east, in more ways than language, culture, magic and samurai - what I would expect from any other oriental supplemental publication. Life, death and reincarnation, animistic spirit/deities, ancestral magic, a different kind of undead - all this is intended to give an oriental feel that other settings just won't be able to capture.

I know Kaidan will be great, I just hope it and Tian Xia will be able to mesh well. Kaidan is an archipelago of islands off the continental coast, so it should be able to plug-and-play into any existing setting, Golarian included.

GP

Last edited:

Zaister

Explorer
The World Guide: The Inner Sea will be a 320-page hardcover, and I'm certain that World Guide: Tian-Xia (or what ever its name will be) will be hardcover, too.

Mercurius

Legend
Cool, thanks, and Kaidan looks and sounds great, Michael! I'll definitely check it out.

So is there a world map of Golarion out there? Or at least beyond the Inner Sea region?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Can you tell us when Kaiden is supposed to be released? Also do you have any more info on Ultimate Combat such as it's release date or new classes, rules, etc.?

Ryltar

First Post
The Inner Sea World Guide will have a (at least partial) world map, as announced by James Jacobs:

James Jacobs said:
The Inner Sea World Guide will indeed have a half-page map of the world. It'll basically just show the outlines and estimated positions of the continents; it won't have a scale bar or terrain features at all, since we just want to reveal basic shapes and positioning of the continents at this point. We're not ready to nail down actual sizes of the oceans between them yet, for example.

Until then, your best bet is the fan-made approximation found here.

==

With regard to Tian Xia, I actually hope that they will not go for a full 320pg. hardcover, but instead go with something like 128 pages. I personally have little to no interest in 'Pathfinder, Samurai Edition', and since you can't opt out of subscriptions for a single book ...

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
With regard to Tian Xia, I actually hope that they will not go for a full 320pg. hardcover, but instead go with something like 128 pages. I personally have little to no interest in 'Pathfinder, Samurai Edition', and since you can't opt out of subscriptions for a single book ...
Personally, I'm looking forwards to this book and i certainly hope that it isn't just 128 pages long. If you don't want it, why don't you just cancel your subscription when the book is coming out and then start a new one just after it has shipped?

Ryltar

First Post
Since that's rather OOC, I put my answer in spoiler tags.

[sblock]Three reasons, mainly:
a) because I'm a completionist at heart - but see c),
b) because the AP might reference the Tian Xia book for specific rules or mechanics, and even if I don't plan on running the AP, I will mine it for ideas,
c) because it would be a hassle to cancel, then re-subscribe for every book, card set, map etc. I don't want but that's part of the subscription. I just don't have the time and energy to monitor Paizo's release schedule and adjust my subscriptions accordingly.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads