What's This Mysterious D&D Book? [UPDATED!]

As long as it's not 5.5...

GarrettKP

Explorer
I'd be up for a limited edition cover of a PHB with all the latest errata and perhaps a better index. Even better if they revised the downtime section to align with XGE.

They have been adamant about not doing any major revisions to the PHB. They won’t be changing downtime. And it’s unlikely they redo the index.

Those special edition covers look awesome, can't wait to add these to my collection....I've been fortunate so far in that my FLGS gets all the special edition covers in and sells them without any markup.

akr71

Hero
I have been unimpressed with the cover art for any of the Special Edition books. If this is all they are, I can gladly save my money.

Mercurius

Legend
Those special edition covers look awesome, can't wait to add these to my collection....I've been fortunate so far in that my FLGS gets all the special edition covers in and sells them without any markup.

Some stores are selling them with a markup? Haven't heard that, except after they're sold out and only going on Ebay.

Anyhow, not really into these ones. I love Mordenkainen's limited cover and I like the idea of fantasy art nouveau and somewhat liked Xanathar's and Volo's, but these just don't work for me. They remind me of limited edition comic book covers from the early 90s.

Some stores are selling them with a markup? Haven't heard that, except after they're sold out and only going on Ebay.

Anyhow, not really into these ones. I love Mordenkainen's limited cover and I like the idea of fantasy art nouveau and somewhat liked Xanathar's and Volo's, but these just don't work for me. They remind me of limited edition comic book covers from the early 90s.

Well, as an example, a search on Amazon shows Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes going for $33.88 regular cover or $61.99 special cover. I don't know the driver behind that, but I was under the impression that the special covers were being sold for a higher cost than the regular covers in most venues. The FLGS sells them for the same price (the price of the cheaper cover).

The covers certainly seem to invoke specific feelings depending on one's aesthetic preferences, but I guess maybe the reason I like them so much is that the last time I really got in to collecting comics was the early nineties, when fancy special edition covers were all the rage (and some got burned badly on that, too, as I recall when the market didn't sustain their collectible value!)

Mercurius

Legend
Well, as an example, a search on Amazon shows Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes going for $33.88 regular cover or $61.99 special cover. I don't know the driver behind that, but I was under the impression that the special covers were being sold for a higher cost than the regular covers in most venues. The FLGS sells them for the same price (the price of the cheaper cover).

The covers certainly seem to invoke specific feelings depending on one's aesthetic preferences, but I guess maybe the reason I like them so much is that the last time I really got in to collecting comics was the early nineties, when fancy special edition covers were all the rage (and some got burned badly on that, too, as I recall when the market didn't sustain their collectible value!)

I'm guessing we're similar age as that's the last time I collected comics too. And yeah, I remember buying variant covers of X-Men and X-Force #1 thinking they'd be worth something some day. Oh well.

Afaik, the actual list price of the limited edition books is the same: 49.95. Given that only the regular editions are sold by Amazon, there seems to be a discrepancy in retail price but there's not: both are 49.95, it is just that Amazon marks down based on their algorithm, and presumably based on sales. It is just that the limited editions filter in through Amazon Marketplace and Ebay, and are marked up due to relative scarcity. But I'm guessing no actual retail stores will mark them, at least not at first; I wouldn't be surprised if they're not allowed to by WotC. They probably sell out of them at full retail, and then that's it.

Do you need a receipt for it, I lost my receipt.

No receipt needed, I asked them on the online chat on the Wizard's site, then sent an email that included a picture of the damage and the ISBN number and codes and they just told me the new one is on the way - took a few weeks (I am in Australia) but it got here. Didn't even have to return the damaged one.

Remove ads

Remove ads