• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your Best Gimmick?

focallength

First Post
The BBEG's base has got to be one of those 8 story footbal field size play gyms, imagine having a fight while squeezing through tubes, climbing rope ladders, going down slides, swinging from rings, and the finale in the ball pit!

ok you failed your reflex save so you fall onto the slide and you end up three stories down, meanwhile the BBEG belly crawls through the pipes, making his way toward the 5th story ball pit. As his minions decend the cargo net to your level, you notice a fire pole that leads directly to the ball pit 20 feet from you.

that would be too cool trying to make all these balance, tumble, jump and climb checks while fighting, and failure just means you end up somewhere else, imagine two kids punching eachother as they slide down two stories. or trying to pull eachother off of a huge cargo net, or trying to find your enemy in a maze of neon colored plastic tubes with observation points and escape slides and...well you get my point.

adamantineangel said:
BTW, if you run this on any day I can make it, I wanna play
Why certainly. It looks like it's going to be one of the festivities at the next NC DM's Council Dinner. More info here: monkey poo?

Henry said:
Just looking at the Halloween Episode at the top of this column has half a dozen ideas.
Thanks Henry!

focallength said:
that would be too cool trying to make all these balance, tumble, jump and climb checks while fighting, and failure just means you end up somewhere else, imagine two kids punching eachother as they slide down two stories. or trying to pull eachother off of a huge cargo net, or trying to find your enemy in a maze of neon colored plastic tubes with observation points and escape slides and...well you get my point.
That's actually a really good idea. One of the things that I've been trying to do in these games is make the environment a key part of the action. E.g. in the house of mirrors you could wind up "off course" when moving using a simple mechanic based on grenade weapons.

diaglo said:
A day at the movies...
with 3D glasses. but the glasses cause the monsters to escape the screen.
Hmm...malls have movie theaters :D Thanks for the idea diaglo!

Well I'm off to the craft store for gimmicks and props :) Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has any more ideas, it's never too late!

NCSUCodeMonkey

Timeboxer

Explorer
Wow, this game seems like lots and lots of fun.

Anyway, yeah, I can only point you to the Kids Next Door. Brilliantly creative show. Probably the only cartoon about kids where the leader of the group can walk into a hospital and go, "Babies? What are babies doing here? ...they must be being incarcerated here to be aged faster by the adults! We need to stop them!"

And actually be right.

shametoy

First Post
The best place!!

A candy factory!!

Candy Floss of Death! Chocolate Chupakabras. Evil Ginger Bread Men. Cupcakes of Chaos....etc

All cooked up by the Baker of the Baskervilles.

OK - Its lame but the best i have.

(Have them make cookies from ready made dough - shape like their characters and have them use them as minitures. Winners eat all!)

Slife

First Post
Or hit points removed could be represented by bites. You could do a lot with environment, add in the shrink idea, an you have rolling pins, ovens, burners, et cetra. In a big kitchen there might even by conveyer belts.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Shametoy gave me a great idea...

The kids are sucked into Candyland. That game's got enough really twisted imagery to fuel your need for gimmicks.

Demiurge out.

Gez

First Post
Well, inspired by Commander Keen and Heart of Darkness (old computer games), you need to send them on an alien spaceship (preferably crocodile-shaped) and then on an alien planet to prevent a full-scale invasion by the Brain Sucking Aliens from the Carnival incident.

The time I spent on that game...
KEEN1.GIF

Mark Causey

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
Shametoy gave me a great idea...

The kids are sucked into Candyland. That game's got enough really twisted imagery to fuel your need for gimmicks.

Demiurge out.

The actual board from the Candyland game could be the 'battlemat'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads