WotC What's your dream release schedule?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I tried. It was the least amount of fun I’ve had DMing an adventure for as long as I can remember. Please don’t dismiss my experience just because it doesn’t jive with yours.
I didn’t dismiss anything, you just tried to speak definitively as if no one would have a different experience. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

Yeah, but they could've made a different setting book to make money. It was the first real setting book of 5e, and they chose the setting that basically nobody asked for.
And it made so much money that they have made two other major setting books since then, and explicitly wouldn’t have, had Ravnica not sold very very well.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah, but they could've made a different setting book to make money. It was the first real setting book of 5e, and they chose the setting that basically nobody asked for.

And because of that, it was a welcome surprise (to me). I really enjoy new, non-traditional settings, so getting Ravnica--and soon, Theros--was a bit like the glory days of 2E, but without the bloat.

I've found that the people who were/are upset about Ravnica are basically either "setting traditionalists"--wanting endless re-hashings of the same old worlds, in particular their personal favorite--or "anti-Magicists," who have some strange beef with MtG. Given the wealth of old settings available, I don't resonate with the first, even though I would be quite happy to see new and shiny treatments of many older settings. The anti-Magic thing also doesn't resonate with me. I played it literally once or twice when it first came out, but never got into CCGs. But I've always liked the imagination of the worlds and art, so porting them into D&D is quite welcome.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Well, not that there is anything at my with you not liking the book, but Ravnica is massively, massively popular with Magic players, who are numerous indeed. I am certain that oodles of people were asking for it specifically, I'd seen requests for Ravnica on wishlists for yeaaaaars before anybody thought it may actually happen ...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My ideal release schedule is pretty close to what we have now:

• One major hardcover a Fiscal Quarter
  • 1-2 Adventure books, new Storylines or classic ports like Saltmarsh
  • 2-3 Setting books, mixing player options, DMtools,monsters and Setting detail (including tons of Adventure building tools)

doctorbadwolf

My ideal release schedule is pretty close to what we have now:

• One major hardcover a Fiscal Quarter
  • 1-2 Adventure books, new Storylines or classic ports like Saltmarsh
  • 2-3 Setting books, mixing player options, DMtools,monsters and Setting detail (including tons of Adventure building tools)
Yeah they are really right in the sweet spot, for me. It’s mostly just where exactly in the groove we’d rather be, it seems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases