WotC What's your dream release schedule?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, and they are definitely continuing to experiment to find what works best for them. Happy with it so far.
Yeah. I think the key that sets the newer setting books apart from the (also successful, just less so) SCAG is that the newer books introduce new mechanics or at least expand on optional DMG mechanics, and have expanded the game for groups that don't play in the presented setting, while deftly introducing the setting to new players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. I think the key that sets the newer setting books apart from the (also successful, just less so) SCAG is that the newer books introduce new mechanics or at least expand on optional DMG mechanics, and have expanded the game for groups that don't play in the presented setting, while deftly introducing the setting to new players.

Format-wisez it gives them the ability to provide a significant amount of every type of product (player crunch, DM crunch, monsters, fluff, etc.) without having all the books eggs in one basket: someone into Monsters or player options will have a nice spread between Eberron, Wildemount and Theros, and so on, while someone who wants all of those sorts of options has them in thematically coherent packages.

It's a pretty cool format...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I've found that the people who were/are upset about Ravnica are basically either "setting traditionalists"--wanting endless re-hashings of the same old worlds, in particular their personal favorite--or "anti-Magicists," who have some strange beef with MtG. Given the wealth of old settings available, I don't resonate with the first, even though I would be quite happy to see new and shiny treatments of many older settings. The anti-Magic thing also doesn't resonate with me. I played it literally once or twice when it first came out, but never got into CCGs. But I've always liked the imagination of the worlds and art, so porting them into D&D is quite welcome.
I have only been around for 5e of D&D, I'm not really old enough to have gotten into any of the previous editions, besides 4e, but I never played it. I am not the first category, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, and a few other older editions. I'm not in the second category, I like Magic: the Gathering and Ravnica as a concept, but I just don't think it works as a D&D world.

Mercurius

Legend
I have only been around for 5e of D&D, I'm not really old enough to have gotten into any of the previous editions, besides 4e, but I never played it. I am not the first category, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, and a few other older editions. I'm not in the second category, I like Magic: the Gathering and Ravnica as a concept, but I just don't think it works as a D&D world.

The way I approach campaign settings is as entertainment and inspiration. When I DM, I always homebrew, but enjoy reading about other worlds and sometimes take ideas from them. Ravnica is quite interesting as a concept, and interesting to read about, so it is exactly the type of setting I like to buy.

Remove ads