D&D General What's your favorite beer'n'pretzles dungeon?

Reynard

Legend
I have a pretty big exam coming up soon so I need to cut down on the time and mental bandwidth I give gaming, but still want to get my weekly D&D DMing fix. So my group is looking for a good dungeon for pick up and play, beer and pretzels style gaming. The edition does not really matter -- I will probably run whatever it is in either 5E or an OSR clone -- but I don't want to have to track a multitude of factions or NPCs or plot threads. It does not have to be a forever dungeon either, although I don't have a problem with a megadungeon in theory. Also, we have already played most of Tales from the Yawning portal and Dungeon of the Mad Mage so those are both off the list.

Thanks!

GlassJaw

Hero
Check out some of the 3ed Necromancer modules. I love 'em: Lost City of Barakus, Vault of Larrin Karr, Tomb of Abysthor.

You could also run Rapan Athuk but not sure I would call it a "beer 'n pretzels" dungeon per se - it's a meat grinder.

Reynard

Legend
Check out some of the 3ed Necromancer modules. I love 'em: Lost City of Barakus, Vault of Larrin Karr, Tomb of Abysthor.

You could also run Rapan Athuk but not sure I would call it a "beer 'n pretzels" dungeon per se - it's a meat grinder.
I have been eyeing RA 5E recently but right now I am looking for something with minimum prep and maximum skull smashing catharsis.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I am going to stay tuned to hear the suggestions too. Time and a energy have been at a premium of late.

wish there was a good book of encounters as well that could be dropped into play....

Retreater

Legend
Rappan Athuk is a great dungeon, but it takes a bit of prep due to its complexity. Barrowmaze might be a good one. It's pretty straightforward, and has numerous small crypts and chambers in addition to the megadungeon. Easy to run right out of the box (with little prep).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Barrowmaze might be a good one. It's pretty straightforward, and has numerous small crypts and chambers in addition to the megadungeon. Easy to run right out of the box (with little prep).
I played through Barrowmaze in OD&D over two and a half years. I bought it after. It's very straightforward: pick a barrow and enter.

It does have some over-arching plots--and it is very large. I think our 2.5 years of dungeon delving found approximately half of the numbered rooms/loot.

If I were looking for something that I could run by just looking at a map and accompanying encounter key, without doing a ton of prep or having to keep a lot of stuff in my brainpan, I'd go with one of the original Judges Guild modules. Dark Tower, Citadel of Fire, Thieves of Fort Badabaskor, something like that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases