• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite edition of D&D (so far)?

What D&D Edition Is Best In Life (To You, Right Now)?

• OD&D

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • B/X - early incarnations (Holmes/Moldvay)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • BECMI - boxes, Rules Cyclopedia (Metzner)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • AD&D - 1st edition

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • AD&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • D&D - 3.x edition (incl. 3E & 3.5E)

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • D&D - 4th edition (incl. Essentials)

Votes: 60 24.7%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 36 14.8%
  • Other/retro-clones

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • I protest at your categorizations! (Free Moldvay, Unearthed Arcana, 3E, etc!!!!)

Votes: 3 1.2%

Mercurius

Legend
The question is simple enough and be re-phrased as follows: What's your desert island version of D&D? If you could only play one version of D&D ever again, which would it be? I'm asking for how you feel, right now (and I'm not including 5E...we'll wait a year or two for that). Don't think too much about what does "favorite" or "desert island" mean - just your gut response, what version or edition or iteration you like the most (right now).

I hope this won't be construed as edition warring or as an attempt to gather meaningful data beyond a self-selected few ENWorlders. But that's just the point - I haven't seen a thread like this (for awhile, at least) and am honestly curious what the State of the My Favorite RPG Site is with regards to D&D.

Notice that I'm both combining a few things and adding options that aren't technically labeled "D&D." Please bear with my subjective categorizations - this is just for the fun of it!

p.s. I was thinking about adding the option to show who voted on what, but I thought anonymity would be appreciated and I'm trying to avoid edition skirmishing as much as possible. Thanks!

Poll forthcoming...

havard

Adventurer
BECMI. Could handle characters from 1st to 36th level. And had rules for handling the PCs when they tranceded mortality. Simple at the core, yet with enough add ons to get the complexity level to suit any taste.
  • Few and broad classes
  • Quick character generation
  • Short prep time
  • Fast Combat

-Havard

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, 1E, 3,xE, or 4E are my choices. I like all three for different reasons, but cannot pick one for each has limitations also.

fba827

Adventurer
i don't have a favorite. different goods/bads about each. and i think i could have fun as a PC in any edition.

(As a DM, I would have fun/enjoy DMing maybe less than half of that list, where as if a PC, I could enjoy any of that list and don't have a favorite).

Stormonu

Legend
Pathfinder is my drug of choice for the moment, but I have been casting eyes back to 2E (especially after rereading some of the option books and noticing how much proto 3E was in them).

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Gold: Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st Edition)
Silver: BEMCI
Bronze: 4th Edition

I'm sure I could play a character and have fun in all, but my days of DMing in the 3rd Edition realms are over

Remove ads