• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite edition of D&D (so far)?

What D&D Edition Is Best In Life (To You, Right Now)?

• OD&D

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • B/X - early incarnations (Holmes/Moldvay)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • BECMI - boxes, Rules Cyclopedia (Metzner)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • AD&D - 1st edition

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • AD&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • D&D - 3.x edition (incl. 3E & 3.5E)

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • D&D - 4th edition (incl. Essentials)

Votes: 60 24.7%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 36 14.8%
  • Other/retro-clones

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • I protest at your categorizations! (Free Moldvay, Unearthed Arcana, 3E, etc!!!!)

Votes: 3 1.2%

scourger

Explorer
My vote is for 3.x, but I am even more specific to 3.0. With it I can crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women. I also see my castaway self playing it with Ginger and Mary Ann.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The D&D Rules Cyclopedia was done by Aaron Allston.

Granted, it was primarily based on Metzner's work, but I think he deserves some credit, too.

I think the RC is probably the best version of D&D, but my heart lies with AD&D 1st edition.

Tallifer

Hero
The Fourth Edition brought me back to D&D. I left AD&D for Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu (and experimented lengthily with Runequest, Warhammer, Rolemaster and Powers & Perils).

the Jester

Legend
That was a damn hard poll question to answer. Ultimately I voted 1e, but strongly debated between it, one or the other version of Basic et al and 3e.

I voted 3.xE. It the system that I've been playing for about 8 years now. So far we've managed to bend it a reasonable way without completely breaking it.

Olaf the Stout

WheresMyD20

First Post
If 3 is lumped together with 3.5 and 4 is lumped together with Essentials, then shouldn't B/X be lumped together with BECMI and AD&D 1e be lumped together with AD&D 2e?

Ringlerun

First Post
1st edition Ad&d still rules. Oriental Adventures and Dragonlance are still favorites to play. As well as 1st edition Forgotten Realms. My best loved character is from Dragonlance a Gully Dwarf Barbarian with poison tipped darts with blowpipe and a spear. His only armour was a pot that he wore on his head. Used it for cooking and latrine. The good old days of yore.

Weregrognard

First Post
Although I have liked all editions thus far, I have to say, by the "good times" meter, that AD&D 2nd Edition wins out, with BECMI/RC as a close second.

Wow! I'm really in the minority poll-wise :eek:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
If 3 is lumped together with 3.5 and 4 is lumped together with Essentials, then shouldn't B/X be lumped together with BECMI and AD&D 1e be lumped together with AD&D 2e?

Because AD&D and 2e are separate products; note there is no break-out of PLAYERS OPTIONS for 2e or UNEARTHED ARCANA and all things afterward for AD&D.

COMPANIONS, MASTER RULES & IMMORTALS fundamentally changed how Basic DUNGEONS & DRAGONS gets played.

at least that's how I view it.

Remove ads