What's Your Favorite Fluff...Stuff?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Arduin (World Book of Khaas)
Agone (Core Rule Book and Grey Papers)
Bob Liddil (a person, not a book)*
Forgotten Realms (1e box set)
HarnWorld (nearly the whole product line)
Northern Crown (all two books)
Scarred Lands (nearly the whole product line)
SLA Industries (Core Book and Karma)
Shadow World (and the older Loremaster books)

*Bob has written a small number of products that are, at first glance, unremarkable collections of tables. The included fiction, however, hints at a strange and wonderful fantasy world unlike any other that I have ever seen. I wholeheartedly recommend The Little Shop of Posions & Potions: Apothecary on the Street of Dreams, as well as the '30-Sided' books (30-Sided Fantasy was published in final release earlier this year).

Last edited:

ivocaliban

First Post
Legend of the Five Rings (AEG) - Particularly the 1st edition Way of the [Clans] books, the City of Lies boxed set, The Book of the Shadowlands, etc.

Voadam

Legend
I'm partial to 2e planescape products and monstrous compendium in-depth entries.

Ravenloft, Oathbound, Freeport, and Ptolus (though I've adapted each in use for my own tastes) have been big 3e campaign settings that have grabbed me. Lands of Argyle also has a neat Points of Light setup that keeps tempting me and I like the basic and evocative short 1st gazetteer for the Scarred Lands continent of Ghelspad, similar to the original 1e Greyhawk folios.

I like the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary and Complete Minions for monster books, I've used both for the well described and sometimes inspiring monster descriptions.

I love the demon lords in Elric! and WFRP. Book of Fiends and Fiendish Codexes are good but a little lower on my taste chain.

Greg K

Legend
My list from the top of my head

- Ars Magica
- AD&D settings (Al Quadim, Darksun, Ravenloft, etc.)
- GURPS sourcebooks
- L5R and its clan books
- 7th Sea and its nation books
- Shadowrun and several of its sourcebooks (e.g., Magic in The Shadows).
- Warhammer FRP
- World of Darkness

- Fiendish Codex I (WOTC)
- Core Beliefs articles (Dragon Magazine)
- Demonomicon articles (Dragon Magazine)
- Shaman's HB (Green Ronin
- Witch's HB (Green Ronin)
- Witch's (Mayfair games)

- Blood and [x] line from RPGObjects

- DC Heroes 2e: History of the DC Universe, Subplots, the sidebars
- Villains and Vigilantes: The section on heroes and the law

boerngrim

Explorer
In no particular order
The old school Forgotten Realms
Greyhawk
Spelljammer
Dragonlance- particularly the magic of the moons
Hollow World
Scarred Lands
Arcanis
Ravenloft original boxed set and the Sword and Sorcery update
Iron Kingdoms
The Wilderlands of High Fantasy- this has an old school sword and sorcery feel to me. It feels like a Robert E. Howard type world.
Thieves World
The Black Company
Ptolus
Freeport from Green Ronin

ejja_1

First Post
Im probably gonna catch som Krap for this

I know most people here don't care for the original Paladium fantasy setting, but the background stuff gave me tons of ideas for D&D. I replaced the wolfen and coyle factions with different tribes of Gnolls and went with the whole warring factions outlook.
My pc's loved it.

Voadam

Legend
ejja_1 said:
I know most people here don't care for the original Paladium fantasy setting, but the background stuff gave me tons of ideas for D&D. I replaced the wolfen and coyle factions with different tribes of Gnolls and went with the whole warring factions outlook.
My pc's loved it.

I think most people here don't care for the Palladium mechanics and Palladium smackdown on fan conversions but a lot really enjoy the descriptive elements of the games.

I've heard a lot of comments about great worlds, neat ideas, wildly unbalanced and unwieldy mechanics.

I'm in that camp myself, I've used a bunch of the gods and demons in my D&D games and a bunch of the runes and circle magic descriptions. I love the Rifts art and a bunch of its concepts (atlantean splugorth ftw) but I play 3e D&D and not palladium.

Remove ads