What's your favorite super hero RPG?

Green Knight

First Post
I've only played Heroes Unlimited and GURPS Supers, so I don't know much about other super-hero RPG's. (I THINK I might've played Champions, too, but I can't remember. I've played a lot of RPG's over the years and my memory of some is pretty hazy) Heroes Unlimited is pretty good, though constrictive. I prefer GURPS Supers' point system a lot more, as it allowed for more diverse super heroes, despite how easily the system could be abused. So what's your personal favorite and why?

Last edited:

Wild Karrde

First Post
Champions baby. I'll stick to the hero system until something more flexible comes along. This system is simply the best. And I always give this warning to everyone who wants to play it. It's so flexible that it can be easily abused so scrutinze the character sheets very carefully.

Turlogh

Explorer
I've played Marvel (basic, advanced and saga) and Heroes Unlimited. I've tried to play Champions but I am not an accountant. I like Heroes Unlimited but the Palladium system is in serious need of an overhaul. The Marvel games universlly had bad mechanics.

Ruined

Explorer
We tried a lot of the systems out there, and our group was always fond of the original DC Heroes d10 system. Once you tossed out all of the actual DC characters, of course.

It allowed for a lot of customization of characters, but not to the exacting levels of Champions. It didn't seem as simplistic and hopeless as the Marvel system could be with the green, yellow, and red feats. And even though we really like the setup for Aberrant, too many sessions fall prety to the 'one-hit, one-kill' syndrome.

I think the ease of use and the fun to be had in combats in DC were what drew us in. There were some weird points, like using your Hero Points to either a) build your character up in downtime or b) use them to save your butt in combats. I believe Mayfair resurrected the system or sold it to someone a few years ago. The newer DC system was that d6 system that Star Wars used, if I'm not mistaken. Not fun, IMHO.

Wild Karrde

First Post
Turlogh said:
I've tried to play Champions but I am not an accountant.

Quite true. If anythign that the hardest part of the HERO system. You can't just whip out a character. I've spent a few weeks before tweaking a character design.

And it can be daunting to learn by yourself but if you know people who play it they can teach you very fast. It's really not as hard as it seems. But having decent math skill definately helps.

Shallown

First Post
I've played marvel (all versions) Paladuim, Champions, V&V and others that don't come to mind.

I prefer DC heroes Myself now sold to another company under the name Blood of heroes. Which I as yet don't own. (Mainly do to a lack of Super hero gamers than anything)

MArvel was okay, Champions too complicated but a very flexible system though combat seemed to take hours.

Paladuim (heroes unlimited I think) Just needed work. Except for TMNT which was fun becuase of the setting.

DC heroes was simple, direct and allowed people to be superhereos withoiut learning a ton of rules and in my experience most people willing to play Supers games don't get into the rules too much.

Hope that helps

Bull

First Post
*plugplugplug* :]

I've been playtesting the Soon to be released Cartoon Action Hour RPG from Spectrum Studios. YOu can find a playtest report here. It's a nice little game, and will be able to handle Supers pretty easily...

Bull

Wild Karrde

First Post
Shallown said:

Champions too complicated but a very flexible system though combat seemed to take hours.

Yeah this is another great point. Champions is made for people who really enjoy combat. If you're much more into role-playing as opposed to roll playing you probably won't like this sytem. That's not to say you can't role-play with the system. Like any RPG it all depends on what you want to get out of it but it really does lean more towards the super hero bashing genre than the supre hero tea party genre.

Sorry if I sounds like a Champions salesman. It's just always been my favorite system. Well that and now 3E ;)

Remove ads