What's Your Story: A Custom Background Guide
In this guide I will be using the standard CharOp colour scheme:
Gold is the best, you take this or you're hurting yourself.
Sky Blue is great, this is one of the best options available.
Blue is good, not as good as Sky Blue, but good.
Black is average. It'll do the job, but it's not great.
Purple is for niche cases. Outside of these cases, it's bad.
Red is a trap, something for you to avoid.
Green is too situational for me to rate.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Outside of the DM just saying "No." background customisation is not an optional thing. That is to say, if you're playing with backgrounds, you can assume that you can customise your background.
A custom background is made up of several parts that we'll be covering:
- A Background Feature- Asides from the option to make one up with your DM, that's what I'll be going over in the first section.
- Any two skills- That's right, any two skills. You don't have to jump the hoops of having class and background proficiencies match in order to take a skill outside both, simply customize your background.
- A total of two languages or tools- There is a restriction here: The language or tool must be available through one of the existing backgrounds. Other than that, go mad.
- The equipment package (or dice roll starting gold) from a pre-existing background.
- Two Personality Traits, one ideal, one bond and one flaw- Note, these don't have to be from existing backgrounds, you can make them up to fit your character concept.