Wheel of Time - No Spoilers

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
. . .Binging a well-made show is like chugging fine cognac.
Well then. I guess we're clear to binge the Wheel.

If anyone's got Netflix, Arcane (league of legends) is Muuuuuuuch more worth your time. Despite being a computer-enhanced sort of cartoon.

TheSword

Legend
So with Moiraine’s Magic turning the tide in the attack on Emonds Field in episode one, I’m struggling to think of other examples of Magic being used like that.

From memory she hurls some fire bolts, calls down lightning from the sky, slices someone in half with the power, telekinetically flings an axe in a trollocs face, blasts a few with concussive blasts then flings half the Winespring Inn at the remaining warband. It was Magic deployed for combat in a really physical and spectacular way. You can see her in a defensive posture scanning the battlefield for her next target. One of the stand out parts of the episodes so far for me. Reminiscent of Gandalf and Sauruman’s duel in Fellowship of the Ring but more varied and substantial.

Im struggling to think of any other live action media which uses magic like this… essentially in the same way we see it in a typical D&D combat? I had thought that Wheel of Time might end up more D&D than the D&D movies for this reason… the cost and difficulty of quality special effects.

What are people’s thoughts?

7429CCDD-2499-47F6-9E2F-A1AE90D8BEFD.jpeg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What are people’s thoughts?

I've watched the episode, but haven't read the books, so I don't know how well that scene reflected the source material. I found it a very engaging scene, and it gave much context to, "one of the Aes Sedai can turn a battle," we were told a few scenes earlier.

My wife, who has read the books, and loved the story (if not all Jordan's stalled, over-lengthy irrelevant prose about dresses and such) absolutely loved the battle scene, and how the magic was depicted.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, the books are long, but not that long: I read the first 8 in a week.

The books average 826 pages each, and there are 14 of them. For a total of 11,500+ pages.

By comparison, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, in total, all three books, has about 1137 pages.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The books average 826 pages each, and there are 14 of them. For a total of 11,500+ pages.

By comparison, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, in total, all three books, has about 1137 pages.
Yes, a couple weeks reading in spare time for all 14 books as opposed to a couple days for the LotR.

I suppose being a fast reader does warp my perceptions somewhat?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Out of curiosity, I went and tested my reading speed, which is apparently about 690 words per minute with comprehension. That means the Wheel of Time would take ~106 hours for me to read in total straight through, while the Lord of the Rings would take ~14 hours. So yeah, two weeks worth of downtime reading, versus a weekend.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, a couple weeks reading in spare time for all 14 books as opposed to a couple days for the LotR.

I suppose being a fast reader does warp my perceptions somewhat?

Not necessarily fast, because you're quoting a duration that theoretically has things other than reading going on.

If you read one page per minute (which is well above average, but not uncommon), and devote 9 hours a day, every day, to reading, you can get through the thing in about three weeks.

Remove ads