D&D 5E When a PC is dead and gone, what options do the players have at your table(s)?

When a PC is dead and gone, what options do the players have at your table(s)?

• Harsh - the party is now down 1 member permanently

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Bring your kid to work day - Roll up a 1st level character

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Try to keep up - Roll up a new character with a level equal to the lowest level PC

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Almost famous - Roll up a new character with a level that is 2 less than the recently departed

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Meet the new boss - Roll up a new character with a level equal to the old character

Votes: 34 42.5%

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Having played in a game where my character started a couple of levels behind the rest of the party since I joined the game in the middle of the campaign, it sucks. I always felt underpowered compared to the rest of the party and could not hold my own. Especially since we did not get individual XP rewards. It was milestone leveling, so there wasn't an built in way for me to catch up.

So I typically keep everyone the same level. Everyone levels up together, and players that have their characters die can make new ones at the same level as the party.

For me, player enjoyment is key. I'll never tell a player they can't create a character lower in level than the rest of the party (within reason). But I'll never force a character to not be on equal footing with the rest of the party.

Last edited:

For me, the third and fifth answers are the same thing, since with 5E, everyone stays the same level. Your example of four characters with different levels would not happen to begin with, and would not have in any edition where all the classes use the exact same XP totals to level. Now, if this were for 1st or 2nd Ed AD&D, a player would get a set number of XP to use, so their new character might be higher level than the old one, if they went from mage to rogue, or a lower level one, if they went the opposite or decided to multiclass.

5ekyu

Hero
This may skew to the "same level" answer as I know many like to maintain parties with everyone at the same level, but thought I'd ask anyway.

If you need a better visual... Imagine a party of four PCs: a fifth level fighter, a sixth level rogue, a sixth level cleric, and a seventh level wizard. The rogue dies trying to disarm a devious trap with no hope of being raised/resurrected/reincarnated/etc. Where does that player get to start their new character? 1st level? 4th level? 5th level? 6th level? Wait, I missed one... oh yeah, or is that player out since they "lost" at D&D?

Ok, go...
Same level in the case described. But death is less likely to start with.

guachi

Hero
I chose 'Almost Famous' even though I really do what pming does. Average party level -2 (maximum level 3).

I do the same for new PCs to the campaign. Though, truth be told, I've never had a player die permanently. Did have two players die and get reincarnated as gnomes (randomly). That made the party one human and three gnomes. But the PCs were 'wished' back (end of module X2).

S'mon

Legend
Having played in a game where my character started a couple of levels behind the rest of the party since I joined the game in the middle of the campaign, it sucks. I always felt underpowered compared to the rest of the party and could not hold my own. Especially since we did not get individual XP rewards. It was milestone leveling, so there wasn't an built in way for me to catch up.

Yes, I think if the GM isn't using XP - is just assigning levels - then everyone should be the same level.

S'mon

Legend
For me, the third and fifth answers are the same thing, since with 5E, everyone stays the same level. Your example of four characters with different levels would not happen to begin with, and would not have in any edition where all the classes use the exact same XP totals to
level.

It happens whenever some PCs do more stuff and get more XP. Maybe the same PCs aren't in
every session (!!) and the GM doesn't give free XP to absent PCs.

Horwath

Legend
We play with milestones, so equal level it is.

Once a friend "rolled up" his departed character twin brother. Was a little cringy, but what the hell :D

Li Shenron

Legend
In the past I used the "lowest XP for same level as the lowest-level PC".

In 5e my default would be "start at 1st level", but no one has died yet.

It happens whenever some PCs do more stuff and get more XP. Maybe the same PCs aren't in
every session (!!) and the GM doesn't give free XP to absent PCs.

I do not punish players like that when real life gets in the way of our little fantasy game. The closest to that any groups did that I have ever been in was award half XP for missed sessions, basically awarding them as if they were NPCs for the night.

Remove ads